Cornish X Dying - can we eat them?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by discodannio, May 28, 2011.

1. discodannio

discodannio Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2011
    Ok, so I'm not asking whether or not we can eat the dead ones. However, they seem to start showing signs of 'slowing down' a couple days before they die - usually about 3 days before. Is it ok, when we see them starting to slow down, to process them then? I'm guessing that they're succumbing to ascites - is that the one where they're just growing too fast, and their hearts etc. are not able to keep up with the rapid growth? We made a few booboos re: restricting their food along the way, so we've lost a number due to getting too big and fat too soon.

Anyhoo, we don't really know what to do. They're about 5 1/2 weeks right now, so definitely as a small processing size. It just seems such a waste to have these nice fat birds dying on us.

*sigh*

If you could give some help that would be great. This has been a learning experience, that's for sure. These things are like fine china - they break at the least amount of pressure...

DD

2. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    As long as you process them before they die, they should be fine. We're having the same problem with out 5 1/2 week old meaties right now too, and we did restrict feed, etc. I think its just too hot for them right now. We were going to mass process in 2 weeks, but I think we're going to do it next weekend instead.

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Try slowing the growth down, you can do this by removing the feed at night. So feed for 12 hours a day, and then let them go hungry the other 12 hours. I agree that as long as they are alive you can process them, and they should still be fine for eating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by