Cornish x hatching eggs?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Jeffross1968, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    I'm thinking of getting into raising meat birds...lots to learn first, but I've noticed that I can't find any hatching eggs for these birds. Do you all buy them as day olds from hatcheries...those that aren't breeding yourself?

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I don't know if you can get hatching eggs for those. Everyone I know of buys them as day olds. You can't breed them yourself.

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Some of the hatcheries will sell you hatching eggs. But the way they've got them priced, I can tell they would rather not.

Because of poor hatch rates on shipped eggs you would be better off to just buy day old chicks.

4. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    Quote:Ditto - hatching is fun, but it's kinda risky - ESPECIALLY when the chicks are already so cheap to buy hatched and good to go. Save the incubating for something else, and lessen your wait time on fresh chicken too! By hatching you add 3 weeks to a process that is only 6 - 8 weeks anyways...ya know?

5. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:Ditto - hatching is fun, but it's kinda risky - ESPECIALLY when the chicks are already so cheap to buy hatched and good to go. Save the incubating for something else, and lessen your wait time on fresh chicken too! By hatching you add 3 weeks to a process that is only 6 - 8 weeks anyways...ya know?

Absolutely! I get anywhere from Zero to 50% hatch rates on shipped eggs anyway. I've tried to hatch shipped eggs around 8 times now, and last batch was Zero. No way I'm adding that to my work with meaties!

6. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Excellent advice. Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by