Cornish X in pain-URGENT{graphic pic of vent}

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Siler, May 26, 2010.

1. Siler

Siler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I have a Cornish X age unsure. About 10 weeks? From the beginning this chick seemed to have a red butt and seemed to poop oddly but it got around and pooped reguardless. For the past week this chick has been unable to walk and her behind is bright red, almost no color in her comb and such, and now she is pooping nothing but white and just as I tried to take a pic here I noticed her vent is possibly prolapsed and white bubbles came out and she cried in pain which made me cry too. I can't figure out how to load the pic here and I find myself, due to her pain, in a bit of urgency. Is there someone how can tell me what to do with my little Ilsa??

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  2. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    I am so sorry... don't know how to help but to upload pictures click the "Uploads" link in the blue bar at the top of your page and browse out to where you have your images save and select the one you want. Then copy the link that shows up on the page once the picture is loaded.

3. Siler

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Ok I figured it out by doing a search. I was just so upset I couldn't think.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'm sorry, but if that were my bird, I would put it down.

[​IMG]

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sounds like it could be a prolapse and something may have been kinked during development making it prone to the problem. However, at 10 weeks, she is at the time for the table so I would process it now as cornish x are a meat bird meant to be taken at 8 weeks.

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Me too..

7. Siler

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Indiana
    The Cornish was a purchasing accident on the husband's part. I never wanted a bird whose life would only last a few months. Don't get me wrong I think chicken is tasty but I never wanted to raise something only to kill it. I don't want it to suffer either so I know that if push comes to shove I would have it put down. I know she's suffering now. I just wondered if there was something that could possibly be done to help her. We have another Cornish of good size and she gets around just fine and there is nothing wrong with her at all.

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  8. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    She looks partially prolapsed, and it also looks like there is impacted poop. The urates (white) can dribble around the hard feces. You can try soaking her bottom in warm water and loosening the poop material, and press it out- BUT this is a meat bird, whose body was not genetically designed to last much longer than 8-10 wks. Some cornish x can stagger around and live somewhat decent lives for a few extra months- but most can't. Though you got this bird by accident, if she isn't one of the rare ones that don't go into heart failure, or have their legs break down from the abnormal weight if allowed to live past their normal process time- you will need to kill her eventually. If you can't do it yourself, have someone else do it. Honestly, if you eat chicken period, there is nothing wrong with raising one for the table from the start. Nothing wrong, and lots right about it. Then you know the bird (even for it's short life) was well cared for, warm, good food, sunshine, quick ending, ect. Not like 99% of the poor things that are raised commercially.

9. Siler

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I will try soaking her right now and see if that helps. I would squeeze it softly right? Do I go up inside any or just the end?

Cruelty is the whole reason I got the chickens to lay my eggs. I just watched Food Inc and about threw up. I get too attached to raise them myself so I'm looking for someone nearby who has some to sell after they process them.

I thought she was about to have (if not having) a heart attack so I begged the husband to put her down before he left for work but he left her to me. I may have someone to do what I cannot. I'll have to give her a call. I'll soak her first.

10. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    I watched food Inc, and now I have 6 freedom rangers in my freezer, and am staying away from store meat. We already had the hens for eggs, so the step was not quite as big as for some. The hardest part for me is the dispatch, but we learned how to do it well- and we feel good about their 3-4 happy months + one bad minute....

When I have had chicks with impacted fecal balls- I soaked them for 5 min then gently/firmly pressed (kind on like squeezing a big pimple?) from the sides, behind the ball- and milked it out. In a larger bird, I would probably do the same thing. Maybe use a lubed and gloved pinky finger to help fish it out. If the mass is a prolapse, this will not work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by