Cornish X- layer of fat?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by MeatKing, Jan 4, 2010.

1. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

We are just eating our first batch of Meaties... I gave one to my sister, and her husband mentioned that he thought it was really greasy [​IMG] With that being said, we looked at ours closer.. and yup their kind've fatty, but amazingly good! Are they supposed to be this way? Is this considered good or bad?
    Did a little expermint.. Roasted one whole, around 8 pounds... Took stuff at bottom of pan pu t in fridge over night... In the moring was able to seperate the 2/3 c. fat out've the stock....

2. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

I have never noticed any fat on mine. Hmmm

[​IMG] I'll have to watch this thread.

What did you feed them???

3. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    It really depends on the age when your talking about fat... along with what you fed them. Cornish get to a point where they stop adding muscle meat and most of what is fed turns into fat storages. Which is why breeders must be on a very strict diet in order to keep them mating properly and laying efficiently.

Anything over 8 weeks is going to add fat to them... from the sounds of your post you had birds that were 10-12 weeks old?

4. quercus21

quercus21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
    We enjoy a little bit of fat on our birds. I'll start feeding the birds corn 7 - 10 days before their processing date. To me it helps in making great soups and gravies.
    Kaj

5. MeatKing

The chickens were 8 weeks old... We feed them, regular feed from the feed store... (What the guy told me too buy) Chick starteer, then finisher. (Were very new to this) They ranged in weight form 7-9 pounds.. The only thing I can think of that we may of done wrong is leaving the food in 24/7. We didn't know till they were 7 weeks that we should be taking the food out at night.. oopps! we didn't want to stress them, so we countinued to leave it in.
    So are the supposed be be a fatter then store bought chickens? So is it bad or good? Or just a matter of what you like best?
    They are soo good, no matter how much fat, we will do it again. But I was quite taken back by getting complaints about my free chicken!
    Thanks everyone, for your imput!

6. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Fat is always a good thing. Adds more flavor, and if you ever decide to sell any... it adds more weight.

Don't be worried about it... you raised nice healthy... big... fat... chickens!

7. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Quote:I have a similar situation. My sister and her husband are very picky eaters and very thin people. They cut off even the tiniest bit of fat and skin from all meats, then when they eat they cut each piece into tiny bits ( and I mean tiny) they then put the pieces into their mouth , then they put down their forks and chew each piece twenty times before swallowing. Each tiny meal last for over an hour. When I eat at their house I find very little flavor in any of the meals. I, on the other hand, enjoy the full robust flavor that is inherent in the fat.

8. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

I've definitely seen the fat on them, but I would never think to describe them as greasy. Even with the fat, the meat always seems very lean.

9. MeatKing

I have a similar situation. My sister and her husband are very picky eaters and very thin people. They cut off even the tiniest bit of fat and skin from all meats, then when they eat they cut each piece into tiny bits ( and I mean tiny) they then put the pieces into their mouth , then they put down their forks and chew each piece twenty times before swallowing. Each tiny meal last for over an hour. When I eat at their house I find very little flavor in any of the meals. I, on the other hand, enjoy the full robust flavor that is inherent in the fat.

Do we have the same sister/ brother inlaw? lol And if you go to a resturant to eat they are always asking to change something, and then it takes them an hour to eat!

Thank-you everyone for the encouragement! Good to know, it's normal!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by