1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cornish X Nocturnal?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by doubleatraining, Nov 30, 2011.

1. doubleatraining

doubleatraining Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    Has anyone other than me noticed that when all the other chickens are one their roosts sleeping the Cornish are still running around?

I have noticed that when I do my final count and make sure all doors are secure the Cornish are still wide awake....and usually begging for a midnight snack. They are very active and run around then pen all excited.

Are mine just broken?

2. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    do you have a light under them? Most 'normal' chickens, feel that the time to sleep and rest.. whereas, the cx only have one thing on their mind.. eat-- then get ate...

3. doubleatraining

doubleatraining Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    No, they are light free. I go out with a flashlight. I can hear them running around and chirping at me as soon as I come out of the house.

I'll have to get pictures of them today.....they run around the yard and forage like my other chickens do. They just aren't very fast. LOL

4. Darin115

Darin115 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    I keep a light on mine all the time. They will pile up in a pile and sleep away from the light in the middle of the day or whenever they want to sleep. I check on them frequently before work and after. Most of the time they are sitting beside the feeder or waterer.

If they are asleep and I go in and disturb them they will lay there like they are sick or don't have the energy to get up and all of a sudden jump up and waddle as fast as they can to the feeder.

Mine are between 4 and 5 weeks old. I did have one to die yesterday for some unknown reason. It was healthy and eating and drinking. It was just dead beside the waterer. No clue.

I think their sleep habits revolve around their eating. If they can catch a nap between meals they may or may not sleep.

Darin

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:You shouldn't need a let on them at that age. If they are piling on top of each other away from the light then it is too hot. I usually take the light away at 3 weeks.

6. Darin115

Darin115 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    I keep the light on to keep the water from freezing and if they get cold they can get under the light to warm up. Temps are hitting upper 20's at night here on occasion. I just leave it in there to keep water from freezing and if they decide to warm themselves a little. Also they can eat all night if they decide to be hungry.

They are inside a 12'x20' chicken house. It is definately not too hot in there. They have plenty of room to waddle around.

Should I turn the light off on nights it is not going to get down in the 20's? I have been leaving it on all the time so I won't forget to turn it on when the temps get down.

Darin

7. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I've noticed that mine will take little snacks if there is the least amount of light, even when everyone else is roosting. I swear, they should use these chickens to study obesity, they are a model for overeating!

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It's all about the desire for more feed - they are eating machines.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by