Cornish X or Standard????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jessicayarno, Oct 6, 2011.

1. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I have raised the red broilers and wasn't impressed, took them to processing at 18wks and some still weren't ready weighing in at 2.5lbs!! I am on my first batch of cornish X that i got yesterday and one died already, I know it's normal, and the hatchery said to expect to lose a few.... I really would like people's opinions on what they prefer and why... I am new at raising chickens, other than having them as a kid.. I have a multi-racial flock of laying hens right now and would like to know if maybe i could just breed my own meat birds that are going to yeild a good size bird without dumping a ton of food into them...
    Thanks..

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I've only rasied the Cornish X once but it's definetly cost effective as far as I'm concerned. We processed at 8 weeks and they were 5 - 7 pounds!

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:[​IMG]
    you should post this in meat birds forum not incubating and hatching eggs, you will get more responses.
    Michele

4. Rosaleen

Rosaleen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Danville, Vermont
    Hello and welcome to BYC. I am considering hatching meaties in the spring and wanted to know the cost of fertile eggs, feed, etc. I have been told it would be more cost effective to buy chicks from the hatchery. Can I ask where your cornish x came from and cost?

5. jessicayarno

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    i bought mine from a local hatchery in Idaho, and he doesn't ship them he just sells to locals... I read Welp is one.

6. jessicayarno

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    And ideal poultry also ships chicks..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by