Cornish X problems

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by remadl700, Jul 27, 2010.

1. remadl700

remadl700 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    oregon
    We purchased 12 of these guys and have lost 5 due to leg issues. They just couldn't walk anymore, like they didn't have the strength. They are free ranged with the other chickens and fed separately at night. The ones that are ready for graduation are all showing signs of hobbling with leg issues. What did we do wrong? I don't want to get anymore until I figure this out.

2. FarmerJamie

FarmerJamie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    How old and how big are they? After 8 weeks or too much food can be a problem.

With one batch we got into a scheduling issue with our processor and had to postpone things 2 weeks longer than I wanted. I had to nurse a couple along for 3 or 4 days with last minute leg issues, but they went in the freezer just fine.

3. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    I had 6 of my birds til 11 weeks and three to 13 weeks with no troubles. Had one bird dress out at 9 lbs!!

What are you feeding and how often and is it hot where you are?

4. remadl700

Nov 18, 2009
    oregon
    I live in Oregon and got them April this year from Wilco (Local supply store). The information we got from them was for medicated chick food for 2 weeks starting with a tablespoon per bird free choice and increasing this every for to five days based on growth to eventually get the grower crumbles without the calcium of the layer mix and move up to about 6-8 ounces per bird for the last 2 weeks. They were eating all of this and acting like they were still hungry. They were eating machines. Water was always available and they never roosted but were free range.

5. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    If you got them in April they should be a broiler/finisher feed now and they should have feed available to them 12 hours a day, then taken away for 12 hours. I really can't say why yours have had more leg troubles than mine. They are eating and pooping machines, but they are YUMMMMMMMY!!

6. chickensrfood

chickensrfood Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2010
    grower crumbles without the calcium of the layer mix

Maybe the lack of calcium = a lack of bone growth which may have led to bad legs?​

7. NevadaRon

NevadaRon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Dayton
    Quote:I have read here and on hatchery websites that you are not supposed to free range CXs - they should be kept relatively confined. Maybe that is the problem? [​IMG]

ETA: Just got this off of a hatchery website re:CX. Maybe your feed wasn't high enough protein?

Feed high protein feed that is 21% or better. Fluid in the body cavity (Ascite) and/or leg weakness may result.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  8. remadl700

Nov 18, 2009
    oregon
    Thanks for all the posts.

It sounds like our big mistake was allowing them to free range. We will give it a go again and also change the food. I just didn't think that the free ranging was that big of deal but..... Does the rule of thumb on 4 sqr feet per bird apply to these guys?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  9. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Free ranging is NOT the problem!!! I free range my birds. Mine are currently 10 weeks, and they'll be processed next week. I've not had a single one go down and I have some ginormous birds out there.

10. ourflockof4

ourflockof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Northern Ohio
    Yes, free ranging is NOT the problem. The main issue as I can see it is not having the quanitity, or quality of food. These 2 issue, combined with age = dead birds. Typical feeding is 20-24% protein, free choice for the first 2-3 weeks, then as much as they can eat for 12 hrs on 12 hrs off until process time.

Free ranging them will reduced their feed conversion a little, and will take them a little longer to grow out, but it wont hurt them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by