Cornish X question

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by emsevers, Apr 14, 2009.

1. emsevers

emsevers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    I had 12 meat birds that I've been raising. They are now about 6 weeks old. I had one that I butchered yesterday because I assumed that it's legs were bad. I just wanted to make sure that that's what happened because now I have another acting the same way. The ones I'm worried about just sit in one place and don't move. They don't move to eat or drink. If I move them to the water they will drink. I've tried to pick them up and make them move and they just stick their wings out as if not to fall. We haven't been very consistent with our feeding routines. We were going to do the 12 on 12 off but we ended up not doing that. So I would guess that they just can't support their weight anymore. I've never raised meat birds before so I don't know how they act when their legs start to go. Is this what's happening?

I guess I'm just concerned and wanted to get your opinion on whether these would be safe to eat.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  2. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd say at six weeks, they are a just fine size for butchering anyway, so if you're unsure, go ahead. With the symptoms you're saying, they may be sick also, however, and you don't want to eat sick birds. Then again, sometimes they just act like that when there's nothing wrong. There really isn't a perfect answer. How about isolating those that you think are having problems first? As long as you're feeding them broiler feed, you shouldn't be having leg problems. I know that's more confusing, but it's tough to say for sure, not knowing your birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by