1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cornish x rocks vrs cornish roasters

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by headofthecoop, Jan 13, 2011.

1. headofthecoop

headofthecoop Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2010
    I am trying to deceide which meat birds to get and was hopeing for some input. any help would be great thank you

2. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Unless you're a commercial grower, they are almost identical being ready to process out in 6-8 weeks.

Being a commercial grower it could be a little bit more technical... for instance the roasters may bring more breast meat. For a small producer it isn't much as it's only an ounce or two more per bird. However when you start talking commercially your talking quite a few thousand pounds a year @ $x.xx amount and it's a big difference.

I wouldn't worry too much about it... both are a broiler and both will yield about the same results in 6-8 weeks.

3. headofthecoop

Oct 3, 2010
    I am diffently on a small scale just getting some to try for my family. I have heard that you need to caponize the rosters in the X I dont know if this is true or not or what difference it would make .

4. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    No, you do not have to caponize them. Honestly, I wouldn't even attempt it in the CX's. They are ready to eat in 8 weeks.... capons are usually DP ( dual purpose) roosters that aren't mature until about 18 weeks.

5. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    What is caponize [​IMG] ? I was thinking meaties myself this year but I'm clueless [​IMG]

6. headofthecoop

Oct 3, 2010
    from what I know it means to basicly neuter them and it makes them gain mor e weight and are less agressive I guess but there parts are all inside so from what I gather it takes a small surgury to do. some people do it to get them to stop crowing so much too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by