cornish X roo and FR hens?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by blue90292, May 23, 2008.

1. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    so i was given a cornish X roo and he seems to be surviving well. (knock on wood) i've been feeding him with the other birds and he's walking around, acting a little like a chicken. anyway, i was thinking about using him as a rooster when he got old enough, and putting him in with some FR hens that i'm suppose to get next month. and then hatching the eggs and seeing what type of broilers i get.

i just wanted to make sure it's the rooster that's suppose to be the cornish X and not the hens, right?

2. redneck

redneck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2007
    Lynchburg,Tn.
    It would be interesting to see him try and get on top of a hen. She better be a pretty good size or he might squash her..lol.
    I had a Cornish X roo and he got to about 12 or so pounds before he died. He was a pet, my kids brought him home from school. A class project.

3. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    yeah, he is pretty big, probably about as big as my blr wyondotte or my blue orpington roosters, just not as agile. he may not be able to get on the girls. [​IMG]

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Well since your breeding hybrids, I'm not sure it makes any difference which is the sire. Let us know how it turns out! Hopefully, they'll be big birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by