Cornish x - seem to act healthy but they LOOK horrible

RGreenfamily

Chirping
5 Years
May 19, 2015
Is this normal? Our cornish X are 12 days old. We ordered 50 with 25 red meat birds EXTRA from Mt Healthy-- 78 arrived- all alive - all happy. We have not lost any. We feed fermented feed (remove at night) and have just separated the RIR (I think) from the Cornish X because the RIR were looking as pitiful because of the wet feed all over from the crazy eating..

The birds do act ravenous EVERY time we fill up their feed dishes (5 times a day), they move around a lot and seem to have no mobility issues. The feather growth is sad. BUT, the huge protruding tumor looking areas on them are making me concerned. Should half their breasts grow rapidly? Should they look like this?

The goal is to get them outside ASAP for moe foraging but the temps in E Tenn are right above freezing this week, so we need to wait. I know they are not going to be beautiful, like my other barred rocks, but I want to make sure I haven't done something wrong and Im just lucky they haven't all fallen over dead. TIA

Those are their crops. It may be time to start restricting their feed to daytime only. The feathering is pretty normal. They grow faster than their feathers can, so it will be a few more weeks before they don't have bald spots.

I thought the crop was part of it- but they seem HUGE and to be all over too. We feed from 9 am-9pm. And when we put our hands in to get the feeders, they almost attack! its crazy.

Thank you for the insight

They always eat like that....

You can try feeding them more that may help a bit. I pasture mine and feed twice a day, they ALWAYS attack the feed, it's just the way they are. Obsessed would be a good word.

And yes those are their crops...

You could wipe them down with a damp cloth or give them a dust bathing area. CX do bathe, especially if they see other birds doing it. But those are just their crops and they seem to be fine, if a bit messy.

I think they are so messy from the fermented feed. The wetness seems to get on them because they are so ravenous! The crop is making me feel less worried and the lack of feathers, i believe is what is showing all the other lumps and bumps. They are very happy and run around like mad. I know that often people talk of mass casualties and since we haven't lost any yet, I am trying to keep it that way! Thank you for the help

I think they are so messy from the fermented feed. The wetness seems to get on them because they are so ravenous! The crop is making me feel less worried and the lack of feathers, i believe is what is showing all the other lumps and bumps. They are very happy and run around like mad. I know that often people talk of mass casualties and since we haven't lost any yet, I am trying to keep it that way! Thank you for the help

Oh...you have plenty of time for "mass casualties". The advice to cut back on their feed and try to get them into pasture ASAP is well placed and is likely the only way to get through what many first-timers consider a short (slow) visit through hell.
idunno.gif

By 4 weeks, feed needs to be cut back to two or three feedings a day. And you need to get them moving. Get them out on grass. Let them scratch through the compost pile. If your plan is to keep the alive for more than a couple months, getting them active, instead of them sitting around waiting for the feeder to arrive, is key.

Last edited:
We have been putting them our to graze all day for a few days now. They really like it and run around lots. They try to escape and "fly". it is very cute. They are nice and active and we feed throughout the day and then only give water at night. The fermented feed is messy but I don't notice very much waste and I know they are hydrated! They have eaten a few of the worms they found but seem to like bugs more. Since we have little ones, they also get let to run free and then chased down by the 3 yo for bedtime. Everyone seems active and healthy. The lack of fathers is so awful compared with the RIR counterparts. Even after washing them off, they stay all raggedy looking.

TYA for the help

We have been putting them our to graze all day for a few days now. They really like it and run around lots.  They try to escape and "fly". it is very cute.  They are nice and active and we feed throughout the day and then only give water at night. The fermented feed is messy but I don't notice very much waste and I know they are hydrated! They have eaten a few of the worms they found but seem to like bugs more. Since we have little ones, they also get let to run free and then chased down by the 3 yo for bedtime.  Everyone seems active and healthy. The lack of fathers is so awful compared with the RIR counterparts. Even after washing them off, they stay all raggedy looking. 

TYA for the help

They should be feathered out by 3 weeks or so. Remember they are bred not only for gains but processing ease as well. The feathers are different than the layers.

Back
Top Bottom