Cornish X sick -- what is it?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by SkyWarrior, May 20, 2010.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    I think I'm going to lose a chick -- my first loss. [​IMG] I came in to take care of my chicks and one of the Cornish Xs is lethargic. Its skin is a deep red, almost purple and the other chicks have picked on it last night to the point where its almost bald (it never grew much feathers). It has some loose stools.

I used blue kote on it, but it lays there barely moving and asleep. Is this flip or some other problem? I have antibiotics, but I'm not sure if that's needed. I can probably get into town in the next few days and get something for coccidia or what not, but I don't know what to do if it's heart failure.

Thoughts? Advice?

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  2. scubaforlife

scubaforlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Separate it. Give it some food and water. Sometimes they rebound when they are alone and can get nourishment and hydration.

3. Slater1995

Slater1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have cornish rock hens and I could not keep them with my other chickens they were constantly picking their feathers. I would go with the antiobiotic and some sugar in the water. Seperate the chick and warm it up. Keep stimulating it by petting it and scratching it on the head. put food and water with the meds. close to it and drip some water on the end of the beak. Use an eyedropper if you have one. If it still doesn't perk up, I would be concerned it won't last much longer. Is this a big chicken or a baby?

4. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:The Cornish X's are in a pen separate from the other chickens. I have 6 Cornish X, 2 Turkey chicks and 2 goslings in a 6x6 pen.

The age of the chick is about 5 weeks, so it's pretty close to being dinner. It's a sizable chick but it's smaller than the others.

Should I be treating everyone in the pen as well?

5. Slater1995

Slater1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

No I would not treat the other if they are acting fine. I would just seperate her and see what you can do with her. Hopefully she makes it. If she does make it, I would give her a few weeks before makeing her dinner and maybe get her blood tested to make sure she will be ok to eat.

Good Luck

6. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    A CX with heart issues won't last few weeks, and a blood test on a meat bird is a little spendy, unless you are thinking you have a disease that might infect your whole flock. I'm not even sure what you would test for . . .
    If the comb/skin are a deep red almost puple it is mostly a heart issue. Butcher now before you loose it and can't.

7. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:Damn, I used Blu-kote. Ah well, the little guy is kind of small. Sounds like it's ascites -- I just read up on it. Still new to this chicken thing. I've got him in a separate crate with food and water. We'll see.

8. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:Okay, we butchered and I skinned it to remove the blue stuff I put on today. The critter's heart was tiny compared to the rest of its body. Internal organs looked good. Some fluid built up in the cavity, but nothing major. The little guy was in pain. The meat should be good to eat if I wash it really well and soak in salt water, shouldn't it?

9. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    it's fine just toss the skin. Glad you did what needed to be done. Just a reminder to let the carcass rest for at least 24, preferably 48 hours before cooking, (in case you haven't processed your own before)

10. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Yeah, this was my first time, but I knew about that. Thanks for the reminder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by