Cornish X Skin splitting

Ga2015

Hatching
May 4, 2020
This is our first time raising Cornish cross and I have a few questions. We started with 75 and lost a chick on day two and they are now 6 weeks and we have had no other losses. We do have two that are having some leg issues but other than that I thought they were doing pretty good. The birds seem pretty lively and move around a good bit. They are in a Salatin style tractor and are being moved everyday. I am currently feeding them 24lbs of 21% protein feed per day split up between two feeding. I noticed a few days ago that a couple had gashes on their back/leg quarter area but it looked like it was healing pretty well so I though we must have left a screw sticking through that they were catching. Now I have several that have gashes. I was going to bump up their feed yesterday when they turned six weeks but got scared to do so because of their skin splitting. I wasn’t sure what I could do to correct this problem. I have another batch in the brooder that are 2 weeks old and I don’t want to make the same mistake with them. I couldn’t find a lot of information on the skin splitting so I wasn’t exactly sure what was causing it so I didn’t know how to fix it. Also could y’all please recommend a good feeding chart as to how much they should be eating each week. All the ones that I find online seem to have pretty big differences in amounts. I just feel really bad that they have this problem and I’m not really sure what to do. I’ve tried to read and learn as much as I could before raising them. Please no nasty comments :) I’m asking for help. Thanks!!

You may want to begin the butchering process. 1/3 lb feed per bird per day doesn’t sound really excessive since they are getting it over two feeds/day. We’ve always fed a grower all/day access until 8 weeks and have not had this problem, and no leg issues either, so it might be the strain you have purchased is prone to skin splitting.

for the up and comings, you may want to limit feed intake at 3 weeks of age to limit their growth slightly or instead just butcher at 6-6.5 weeks of age.

try another strain of birds. Where did you get these from? Where is your general location?

This is our first time raising Cornish cross and I have a few questions. We started with 75 and lost a chick on day two and they are now 6 weeks and we have had no other losses. We do have two that are having some leg issues but other than that I thought they were doing pretty good. The birds seem pretty lively and move around a good bit. They are in a Salatin style tractor and are being moved everyday. I am currently feeding them 24lbs of 21% protein feed per day split up between two feeding. I noticed a few days ago that a couple had gashes on their back/leg quarter area but it looked like it was healing pretty well so I though we must have left a screw sticking through that they were catching. Now I have several that have gashes. I was going to bump up their feed yesterday when they turned six weeks but got scared to do so because of their skin splitting. I wasn’t sure what I could do to correct this problem. I have another batch in the brooder that are 2 weeks old and I don’t want to make the same mistake with them. I couldn’t find a lot of information on the skin splitting so I wasn’t exactly sure what was causing it so I didn’t know how to fix it. Also could y’all please recommend a good feeding chart as to how much they should be eating each week. All the ones that I find online seem to have pretty big differences in amounts. I just feel really bad that they have this problem and I’m not really sure what to do. I’ve tried to read and learn as much as I could before raising them. Please no nasty comments :) I’m asking for help. Thanks!!
I also raise meat birds in tractors. This year I have three with rear quarter laceration. I attributed it to the chickens climbing on each other a cutting the guy on bottom with the talon. I have not seen it before this year though. Hope that helps.

I also raise meat birds in tractors. This year I have three with rear quarter laceration. I attributed it to the chickens climbing on each other a cutting the guy on bottom with the talon. I have not seen it before this year though. Hope that helps.

I wondered if that might be causing it because when I feel their skin it doesn’t seem super tight like it busted from pressure but I wasn’t sure. Thanks!

Fuzzy Butts that didn't make the first picture.

This is shrink-wrap, I am trying to figure out how to remove the cape before the tribe does it. (I'm the middle)
IMG_20200505_052109.jpg
These (middle of photos) are Silver Wyandotte over Comets, they all got stripes. Red head, yellow with strong stripes
IMG_20200505_052052.jpg IMG_20200505_052006.jpg

The white dotted black same roo over barred rock. I read on BYC that it makes sex-link, I have three. All in this photo. Any guesses before I nail test them?
IMG_20200505_052025.jpg

Off to modify the incubator before setting another 60 is eggs. :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_20200505_052050.jpg
    IMG_20200505_052050.jpg
    421.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20200505_052046.jpg
    IMG_20200505_052046.jpg
    477.6 KB · Views: 12
This is shrink-wrap, I am trying to figure out how to remove the cape before the tribe does it. (I'm the middle)

I used warm (100 degree F) water and a rag and soaked, very gently rubbed/pulled it off. Then dried it in the incubator to keep it warm. I got it and off put it in with a broody hen and other chicks. The down was still matted but took care of itself in a few days.

I understand the concern about them pecking it off. I think it is a legitimate concern, it could happen. But I risked it with the matted down and it worked out. About half the chicks I help die anyway but that one did fine.

I used warm (100 degree F) water and a rag and soaked, very gently rubbed/pulled it off. Then dried it in the incubator to keep it warm. I got it and off put it in with a broody hen and other chicks. The down was still matted but took care of itself in a few days.

I understand the concern about them pecking it off. I think it is a legitimate concern, it could happen. But I risked it with the matted down and it worked out. About half the chicks I help die anyway but that one did fine.
Thank you and sorry to the original poster. I got my threads confused on my phone and put the pic post in the wrong place.

Back
Top Bottom