Cornish X sneezing... help please.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Crowing
9 Years
Jun 19, 2010
San Diego, CA
This has been up all day in the other section and I haven't got a single answer... hopefully someone in this section can help me out, I really wanted to get them meds (if they need it) tonight before the feedstore closes...

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
Cornish crosses 6 weeks old.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
I've noticed several of them having light sneezes, and weird "teeth grinding" noise when they breathe.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Two days +

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
A couple of them yes. Only the cornish, no other chickens with them exhibiting symptoms.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
No

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Yes everything is normal.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
One has diarrhea, but I attributed it to the change in diet 2 days ago. Everyone else fine.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Nothing

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Self

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
N/A

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use.
Baby coop at night, out in yard during the day. Straw in coop.

Everyone seems healthy, no discharge, regular normal breathing, eyes bright and clear, combs and wattles normal coloring, normal activity, everyone's poo is fine except one Cornish. About 4 out of the 6 cornish are giving an occasional sneeze, and what I can describe only as "teeth grinding noises" when they breathe.

What should I do? Help please and thank you.​

Last edited:
I don't know that it is anything to worry about Cari. How soon are you planning on processing them? I am always very hesitant about giving my meaties any meds, but then I always have more than 6, so if I lose one, it's not the end of the world. If they don't show any additional symptoms or get any worse, if it were me, I wouldn't do anything yet. One thing you could do that wouldn't hurt them is give them some garlic and/or ACV in their water. Both will boost their immune system.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Mine had they same problem at six/seven weeks... I gave them Tylan 50 for 3 days, injection in the breast. Only one still has the congestion now...it's been about 4 days since I medicated. But now I have to wait 2 weeks to process, due to the meds. That's okay, they aren't really big enough anyway. I have 22 of them, and they came from Meyer Hatchery.

LIz

Since they are only 6 weeks old I don't have a problem medicating them if they need it, because I hadn't planned on processing them until 9 weeks, plus we might keep some of them. I really want them to be healthy. Should I start them on antibiotics? I can get tetracycline here...

Help please,
TIA- Cari

Unless you know what the exact sickness is, throwing meds at it may not help if it isn't the right med for the sickness. I'm not knowledgable enough about meds to say if the tetracycline is the answer. Perhaps someone else will know what it treats.

honestly I don't think they are sick; just showing signs of fluid in the chest which is fairly common in CX. Personally I would not medicate a few week before butcher; I would suggest watching for purple combs - a sign on immpending heart failure, feed 12 on 12 off and keep plenty of water available, added vitamins are good too. Three weeks is not far to go.

Thank you Katy! That's what I was thinking it was, I just wanted to make sure it was that and not them being sick.

I want to keep some of the pullets (now have to chose ones that don't make that noise) but I will process all the cockerels.

Do you think I should process sooner than 3 (more) weeks if it gets worse?

So far all have bright red or pink combs. They have food in the coop, but don't eat at night while it's dark and are out in the yard during the day eating grass. So I figure it's kinda like the 12/12 schedule, they definitely AREN'T just sitting in front of food all day.

I will go pick up some vitamins!

Thank you again.
smile.png

Last edited:
Why would you keep the pullets? I thought the crosses weren't too good at surviving to sexual maturity, and don't lay many eggs.

I thought the pullets lived easier than the roo's? I want them for my crossing project. Should I keep one of the Cornish cockerel's and put him over my SLW hens instead?

Last edited:
I had this same thing with my cornish x, and at about the same age . I just let it run its course for most of them. It sounds like CRD - Chronic respiratory disease. Here's my post on it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=409057 . We did have one that got especially sick and remained sick after the others recovered. She got to the point where she looked like she wasn't going to make it without intervention, so we gave her Tylan 50 injections for 3 days. Cleared her right up! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom