Cornish X that suddenly can't walk

steventhomas9109

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2022
Okay so noob question here. Out of 11 Cornish X we suddenly have 1 that cannot walk. She just sits down. We tried getting her up on her legs and she just rocks backwards. She does have a healing wound on her left thigh, but other than that seems perfectly normal. The other 10 are not having this issue. Now, they are about 8 weeks old and based on my research I've read between 8-9 weeks is the time you would process them. Could she be exhibiting signs that it's time? Also as far as the wound that's healing. Would that meat still be safe to consume or should we just cut that thigh off and consider it a loss?

Thanks in advance for the help this is our first go around with Cornish x

Okay so noob question here. Out of 11 Cornish X we suddenly have 1 that cannot walk. She just sits down. We tried getting her up on her legs and she just rocks backwards. She does have a healing wound on her left thigh, but other than that seems perfectly normal. The other 10 are not having this issue. Now, they are about 8 weeks old and based on my research I've read between 8-9 weeks is the time you would process them. Could she be exhibiting signs that it's time? Also as far as the wound that's healing. Would that meat still be safe to consume or should we just cut that thigh off and consider it a loss?

Thanks in advance for the help this is our first go around with Cornish x
It’s common for Cornish X’s to be too heavy and thick to stand up for long. They have too much meat to support the weight of. It’s wont matter if she’s sitting if she’s going to be eaten though. As for the wound, you might not eat that. Unless it’s all the way healed, there is a chance is has bad bacteria in it.

Could she be exhibiting signs that it's time?
Yes. It depends on how you feed them but Cornish X can grow so fast their skeleton can't keep up so their joints break down or their hearts give out. That's why they are typically butchered at 6 to 8 weeks.

Also as far as the wound that's healing. Would that meat still be safe to consume or should we just cut that thigh off and consider it a loss?
I'd cut it off and toss it.

We feed out cornish cross 24x7 the first 3 weeks then 12 hours on 12 hours off . We feed Nutrina Flock Shield 22%. Last batch we processed at 9 1/2 weeks. Out of the over 40 we raised only 1 had issues and it had a heart attack or stroke right in front of me. I processed it and ate it. There are so many ways to raise meat chickens. Some people feed as much as they can eat , for as short of time they can. Our next batch we are going to experiment with trying to get them a little older I would like to try and get them to over 10 weeks. We will try to get them on the pasture as soon as possible to see if I can get them to forage more. Enjoy your cornish cross. They are fun to raise and delicious on the table.

Back
Top Bottom