Cornish X - very pleased with the outcome!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by blueskylen, Nov 10, 2008.

1. blueskylen

blueskylen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    Well we got our 44 remaining Cornish X processed over the weekend and they averaged about 5-6 lb. dressed each.

we estimate that the total expense was :
    $108. - 50 chicks
    $196. - feed
    $ 30. - straw
    $106.- processing - which included cutting 10 up and boning the breasts, which was a bit extra.

total $440.00 divided by 44 = $10.00 each

at 5lbs average each = $2.00 /lb

I didn't add the cost to build the extra wing on the coop for them, as we will use it for storage this winter, and more chicks in the spring.

they turned out to be a great looking chicken when processed - a plump and big breasted bird, and we had some wings last night that were out of this world!

we will definitely be getting more Cornish in the spring.

2. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    cool: [​IMG] you guys will be eating good this winter. Will

3. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Quote:How old were they when them processed?

4. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

next time if you can process some yourself, you might even get your per bird cost down even more. good job.

5. blueskylen

blueskylen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    they were right at 8 weeks - I had 1 die on Wed, and 1 of them had fluid when the processed and could not use. I wouldn't have wanted to keep them any longer, as I was afraid that more would die of heart failure, etc.

I know it would be cheaper to process them ourselves, but we just aren't set up for it - and i really get attached to the birds - to do it myself and would hesitate to eat them when all is said and done. As we were raising them and then splitting them between my sister, mother, and us - i thought it was very reasonable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by