Cornish X vs. Cornish Roaster

halo

Got The Blues
14 Years
Nov 22, 2007
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
Has anyone gotten both of these birds from McMurray? Im going to place an order for some chicks, and just can't decide between the two, and wonder if theres any discernable difference between them.

I don't have the catalog in front of me, but aren't they all the same? If I remember correctly, one of the four (?) different "meat birds" they sell just takes a little longer to mature.

I seriously read into it that after a while some of the breeding programs loose their ability to produce a fast bird (vigor??) and they are kept for a while to produce a "slower growing" bird.

I could be wrong, but they all look and sound like Cornish X's to me. (just my 2c)

From what I was reading, its a totally different line, as it says in the catalog that they got these breeders at a different time than the Cornish X. Im just not sure what the advantage would be in taking longer to grow, other than a couple more weeks of feed.

I just went to their website. Ya, I still think they are all the same. One "strain" of their breeding program might just be slower than the other. The Cornish Games hens are admittedly just X's butchered young.

One thing I did notice for this year... $2.00 a chick!!! Wow. I hope my hatchery doesn't follow suit with McMurry's prices.

Edited to add: By "all the same" what I mean is they are all Cornish/Rock X's. Some are better than others even with the same hatchery, different ordering time, supposed same stock

Last edited:
Wow $2.00 a chick is not hardly worth the money to grow the chicken,If you find a cheaper supplier please let me know I like to do about 30 cornish a year for freezer meat.

Quote:
Not trying to hijack Halo's thread, but I think almost everyone is cheaper than Mc Murry. I have bought from Hoover for a tad over a buck and I know Welp is under a buck.

I buy the Cornish roasters rather than Cornish X because of the elevation where we live. The roasters grow ever so slightly slower, but it makes a difference according to everything I've read.

Back
Top Bottom