Cornish x vs. turkeys

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jjparke, Jan 31, 2009.

1. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    I am thinking about doing turkeys this year instead of cornish x. Any input is greatly appreciated. How much feed? Housing? Butchering? Stuff like that.

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I liked raising our BB whites, housing, feed, are not much of a problem. They are pretty easy keepers, dumb as a box of hair when their young i thought.

AL

3. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

I've raised both in the last 3 years. I love Turkeys. The are so neat!! We had puppies last spring when the turkeys were only a few weeks old and as god is my witness those turkeys started barking exactly like the pups!!!

However, by the time I figured out my input costs (BB Giant Whites are close to $5.00 a chick!) I found out I had a small fortune invested in them. I couldn't sell the extras (I only need a couple, the minimum order is 10+) for what I had in them for fair market price.

My point is this. Turkeys are great to have. They are truly, sweet birds. But The Cornish X's are a buck a chick and ready to butcher in 8 weeks whereas the turkeys are five bucks a chick and you feed them for 20 weeks. Not to mention they take up 2X the space.

4. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:That was my exact thought. Plus, chicken seems like a bit more versatile meat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by