Cornish X with back lesions.........(semi-graphic)

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Burbs, May 23, 2010.

1. Burbs

Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    South East Idaho
    I haven't seen this before. It appears to begin with one of the veins on their backs turning dark and progresses to an open sore and finally scabs over. They are six weeks old and seem to be putting on weight well and act normal. About half of the birds are exhibiting these lesions in different stages.
    I doubt there is much I can do now as far as treatment is concerned seeing how they are only two weeks away from the plucker. Anyone have any idea on the cause?

Starts out like this. See the dark vein on the haunch?
    [​IMG]

Progresses to this....
    [​IMG]

Thought I would post here instead of the emergency section, seemed more appropriate. Mod please move if you disagree.

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I have never seen anything like it .. Hopefully someone can explain what it is...

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I have never seen it before but can't see it real well. Need a more open pic of the area. Can you get someone to push the feathers out of the way. Is it scabing? I do hope you can find out what this is before you eat them.

4. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    Could a coon or something be scratching them? Is there something in their coop that could be doing this, maybe they are jumping on eachothers back to get to food or water. Just some ideas, hope you figure it out.

5. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Very difficult to get a feel for it in 2D , but looks to be a deep scratch with another more shallow next to it . Next pic appears to have bled and scabbed more . Is it possible a cat or raccoon is reaching through to the meaties trying to catch one ? One thing I've noticed with mine is they are nearly fearless . My Easter Eggers and straight Cornish sound an alarm and run from everything including me , but the CX boldly walk up and let me pet them and approach my inquisitive bulldog the same way . Seems like the others behave as prey species should ; the CX act like everything they see is probably coming to feed them [​IMG] .
    If the others are pecking at that spot you could paint it with blue wound coat and skin it if it hasn't disappeared at process time .

6. Burbs

Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    South East Idaho
    Quote:Never thought of them scratching each other. I bet your right. I'll modify my feeder setup tomorrow and see if things improve. Thanks for the idea.

7. chix4smokin

chix4smokin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2009
    thats from them climbing over each other in a hurry to get fed [​IMG]. they don't feather well there and the skin is tender

8. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Are you doing that "12 on 12 off" feeding routine?

9. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I would say it is from other Cornish scratching them. I found a few of them like that when we butchered this weekend. Many times I have seen them butting in line to get feed. They jump up on the backs of the ones in front of them to get to the feeder. Unless it becomes pussy and infected, I wouldn't worry about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by