Cornish X with blood in stool?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by CluckerClubbie, Sep 2, 2014.

1. CluckerClubbie

CluckerClubbie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2014
    I have my first batch of 16 Cornish X meat birds that I picked up from Meyer on 8/12. So they are 3 weeks and we are hoping to get them outside in the tractor and out of the brooder (and my sunroom) this weekend. Had to cull one last week (deformed leg, having trouble getting to the feed) and another died yesterday (I think from the heat/humidity. I feel a little like dying myself.)

One of the remaining 14 birds has bloody stools. Or at least one. I noticed some red scat when I cleaned out the brooder yesterday, and this morning I was lucky enough to actually be looking in the right spot when it happened again.

How scary is this? Should I cull this bird? It's eating and drinking as far as I can tell.

Also, the gallon waterer spilled out into the brooder. It's a soggy mess. But the birds seem to be enjoying a little wetness in the heat. Should I clean it out and put in dry pine chips? or is that not a big deal?

I hate the thought that I'm making a bunch of rookie mistakes.

2. KCMOLisa

KCMOLisa Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2014
    Missouri
    I'm just a rookie too, but I know that blood in the stool could be coccidiosis. I've never experienced it with chickens, but my kittens had it when I found them and they were about 3-4 weeks old. I would probably separate the one that has the blood if you know which one it is. You don't need to cull it. It just needs extra liquids and it should be able to fight it off itself unless it has a very serious case. The vet told me for the kittens to just make sure they were well hydrated because the way coccidiosis kills is through making the host dehydrated.

I do know that it is contagious and spreads through infected droppings, so definitely scoop out any poop that you see with blood in it. Also, it festers in damp environments, so I would probably clean up the spill and try to get it as dry as possible in there. I'm sure the humidity isn't helping either.

Hopefully someone who has more experience can give advice also!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  3. smitty1135

smitty1135 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2014
    Yes change out the pine shavings it not good for them to be wet and damp if I'm not mistaken that is how coccidiosis is started I would pull the out with bloody poo and keep it away from the others for a bit just in case -----warm and damp or wet is never good

4. smitty1135

smitty1135 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2014
    If they r weak mix up some sugar water with some vitamins it will help perk them back up

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by