Cornish X

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by intownfarmer, May 17, 2009.

1. intownfarmer

intownfarmer Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    Do they get old enough to crow, if they are roosters?

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Not too often if you process them at around 10 weeks....

You might get a early bloomer but the fix for that is just to eat that one sooner. [​IMG]

They will mature eventually if they live that long and start crowing but my batch I process last fall at 12 weeks didn't have any that crowed that young.

3. HenniePennie

HenniePennie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2007
    Oregon
    This is my 4th year for cornish-cross and I have never had roo's crow. But I have had some chest butting going on. They are really funny to watch.

4. pdpatch

pdpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    We had one try to crow this year, it sounded more like something out of a hourur movie then a crow. A few of the females even tried to cluck.

Tom

5. zippy11455

zippy11455 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    My sister had one crow last year. I helped her butcher them and early on his last morning alive the biggest rooster got to do his first real crow. He had been trying a couple of days before, but those sounded pretty feeble. I think they were around 12 to 13 weeks old. The biggest on had to have been 12 pounds dressed. He looked like a turkey roasting in the oven.

6. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I've never heard one crow. Assuming that at 8 weeks was the oldest they should get or you chance having them go off their feet or lung problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by