Cornish X

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ZuniBee, Oct 6, 2007.

1. ZuniBee

ZuniBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Zuni, Virginia
    I ordered some Cornish X hatching eggs (25) for my first attempt at incubating. I had one out of the twenty five hatch. I bought some top hats at the feed store to keep him company. Turned out to be four very good looking top hats. Any, the cornish X had grown so big it could barely walk. It was time to prep it for the table. This was the first chicken we slaughtered and we only knew what we read on line. I wanted to make sure we did the deed in the most humane manner possible.

My son did the kill and did it in such a manner that the bird didn't even realize he was cut. It was a very quick and clean kill without any suffering. We dressed the bird following the instructions we had read. I was surprised at how easy it was.

The bird is now soaking in ice water in the freezer. I'll move it to the refrigerator after an hour or so cooling down and we'll probably have him for dinner tomorrow night. He is so big we had to put him in a turkey pan. He looks like a small turkey!

I plan on getting 25 meat birds at a time and filling the freezer over one weekend. I feel much better knowing the birds will live a good life, eating good food, without chemicals and inhumane treatment.

Now we are one step closer to self sufficiency. We have blueberries, raspberries, pecans, pears, honey, eggs, and chicken!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Congrats! Good to hear it went well for you.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Zuni! You need a pair of dairy goats! I would love to have honey. How old are your hives? Any advise for wanna be bee keepers? I am also jealous of your pecans. Back in Ga. I have huge pecan trees and I miss the trees and the nuts very much. Here I have black walnuts and haven't yet developed a taste for them.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  4. ZuniBee

ZuniBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Zuni, Virginia
    I think dairy goats are next. I just don't know anything about them.

I started keeping bees this year. Read about it all last winter and couldn't wait to get started in April. I slowly ordered all the hives and equipment over the winter. I originally ordered three packages of bees and as soon as I got them I ordered three more! Then I had someone call and ask if I would remove a swarm from a tree in their yard. So, now I have seven hives. I didn't expect to get honey the first year but ended up with 29 one pound jars so far..... all from one hive. I may end up with another 30 (from the same hive) but am not sure. I have to check tomorrow. But next spring they should be ready to make a lot!

As for wanna be bee keepers, my advice is go for i! It is so fascinating to learn about and watch the bees. Now is a great time to start reading books, forums (beemaster.com is a good one) and learning as much as you can. Then in the spring, set up a hive....... but, I must warn you, it is just as addictive as chickens! But the honey is awesome.

5. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:My husband will not want to hear that.

I got my dairy goats this year. 6 beautiful girls. He didn't plan on my getting so many of those either.

I would love to meet someone local and do a hands on 'this is the bees and hives' lesson.

I have always thought chickens, goats and honey should all go hand in hand. LOL

6. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I want a goat so bad but my family lives in the suburbs(2.5 acres) we could do it but my mom says chickens and a large vegtable garden are enought for her we will se about that. Nigerian dwarf dairy goat here I come.

Henry

7. snugglepup

snugglepup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    Quote:Well, you see when a boy bee and girl bee really love each other.....

Oh wait, you meant a different kind of bee lesson... nevermind!

8. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You are bad, snugglepup. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by