Cornish X's at 3 weeks and 5 days...

ChicksinBoise

Songster
13 Years
Jun 14, 2007
Just thought I would throw a couple pics up if anybody was curious on seeing how fast these things grow. And we are not even feeding them heavy protein feed. We are feeding 50% scratch to keep the growth down a bit so none of them die of wierd growth problems. Plus we want to keep them from unneeded suffering while they ARE alive. Anywayzzz here ya go!

Here they are just after we picked them up from the Post Office at 2 days old:

P8170526sm.jpg

Here they are at 3 weeks and 5 days old: (Yes, I was about ready to clean the coop and water when I took these).
smile.png
They are so messy it's amazing.

P9080582.jpg

Last edited:
I wanted to caution yo a bit that if they don't get enough protein (and calcium) they could develop leg problems as well. Of course, they also get lots of problems from eating too much protein. So, I hope your 50/50 solution finds the compromise point.

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I will cut back the scratch to 25%. I brought this up a week or 2 ago asking but nobody responded. This is the first batch of Cornishes we have had so I am still very new.
smile.png

Wow--can you post pictures of them every week, pretty please? I've been told that you don't get attached to these birds because they are so messy and gross, but I'd really like to watch yours grow before I get my own batch!

Quote:
I will try and get pics taken every week. Yes, we have made a point to not get too attached to these. I have been keeping interaction very minimal. Luckily I have been so busy with work it hasn't been to hard.

We mixed in chick starter, gradually decreasing, but continued it until the 4th week. We also let them free range & while they never had the initiative to go far, they did eat lots of grass and clover, as well as table scraps and leftover fresh veggies. I'd think the corn int he scratch might make them even hotter- it might not matter, depending on where you live. They always seemed so hot to me, even when the weather wasn't. We only did this once, though- we're far from experts. THey went in at 7 1/2 weeks & dressed out between 4.5 and 6.5 lbs. Very yummy!
Much luck!

Quote:
I agree with you on the corn. I have heard it can make them hotter. Luckily it's starting to cool down here now. The last two weeks before we butcher them we are going to be feeding mostly corn though so the meat tastes sweeter. Hopefully it works out! We haven't lost any yet so we're very excited!
big_smile.png

Did I mention they poop ALOT!? :eek:

Question...
I bought 10 cornish cross on Sunday. I've never had them before either. Are you starting them off on a scratch/chick starter mix or are you adding the scratch at some predetermined age? I didn't know you could or should give babies scratch. If so, I might try it.

I was just on the McMurray site looking at the meat birds. Bubba was telling me that he just ate two of his and they were great. I was looking for info on them and how long they get raised before....serving their purpose (tried to phrase it nicely). I will be following this thread to watch the growth on the birds. One question I have is that the roo's are supposed to grow larger/faster than the hens, when will they start to crow? If they don't start crowing till after they are eating size it doesn't matter if I order straight run or not, correct?
Cathy

Back
Top Bottom