Cornish Xs turned out BEAUTIFULLY!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ChikeeMomma, May 25, 2010.

1. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    This was my fist experiencs with Cornish Xs. I did Dixie Rainbows last year. The Cornish were way better, in my opinion. I let them go to 9 & 10 weeks. I fed them a 24% Dumor game feed from TSC through six weeks and then switched to a 18% protein locally mixed feed after that. And this past week, I fed them corn, too. I let them outside at 2.5 weeks of age -- into a 12x20 run. I started with 12 chicks and culled one at 3.5 weeks because it was acting weird -- not eating for a couple days and sat with eyes closed. Other than that I had no issues at all. They eventually free ranged from about six weeks on -- just in the evening. They were hefty yet very energetic right up until the end (and in 90 degree weather). I raised them right along laying pullets with no problem, but they all had plenty of space. I can't believe how much meat is on them compared to the Dixie's (and they put that on in 7 weeks less time), oh and a nice layer of fat! They came from Townline Hatchery in Zeeland, MI. Sorry for the rambling, but I had such a great experience! Just thought I'd share!

2. Me & My Peeps

Me & My Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Western MA
    NIce! I was going to do some this year myself but, time being what it is - I dont see it happening. Do you have a plucker? I am putting the parts together for one now......From what I read, its the only way to go

3. ChikeeMomma

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    Actually, no I don't have a plucker -- I didn't even butcher them. I took them to the Amish -- not too far from me. I dropped them off last night and this morning they butchered them and I picked them up at 11:00am. They charge me $1.50/bird. They do a great job and it's neat to visit with them.

I was going to mention that from the time that I let them outside I moved their feed and water out there -- so the had to go outside and they had to move a distance to go from food to water.

4. JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom

JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    West Central WI
    It seems there are some strains of Corn X that are better than others. Townline must have a good strain.

We also employ the Amish here in WI for processing, same price, beautiful isn't it?

Congrats on your successful season!

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    awesome info thanks so much for sharing! so what were their weights at butcher time?

6. ChikeeMomma

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    JoAnn -- it is nice to have the Amish just a half hour away! I asked if they did turkeys and they do -- $3.00/bird -- not too bad!

Katy -- I just picked them up this morning. They are resting on ice in the fridge. When I package them up, I'll weigh them. I don't have the correct type of scale, but it should do. Just from looking at them, I'm guessing that they run from 4 to 7 pounds (I had a few hefty's in there!). I was so nervous that I'd have broken legs or heart attacks or other Cornish X problems when I got them this year, but I think my system has worked pretty well. Think I'll do at least 25 next spring. I still cannot get over how big, yet healthy and energetic these guys were -- right up until the end!

7. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Glad you had such a great experience . Were they the Vantress X Arbor strain or the Hubbard strain ?

8. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Will the hatcheries tell you what strain they are?

9. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Chikee Mama... CONGRATULATIONS on a successful crop of Cornish X. I give all the credit to your husbandry practices for the great returns. As the old saying goes... "The eye of the master fattens the cattle"

10. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:Townline does , and they offer this sales pitch on the Hubbard White Mountain :

" It is a quiet bird, extremely fast growing, well-feathered and has excellent
    conformation. It is the type that many hatcheries refer to as "cornish cross"
    and is fully capable of reaching a weight of 4 lbs. in 6 to 7 weeks.
    They also make excellent roasters, rapidly attaining the 7 to 8 lbs.
    required for this type of bird. The pullets ay a reasonable amount of eggs
    for several months if not allowed to become too fat. "

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by