cornishx rescue not eating or drinking

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MaryFrances, Dec 18, 2010.

1. MaryFrances

MaryFrances Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2009
    Clarkesville, GA
    I found a chicken crossing the road....a major highway! Certainly fell of a chicken truck. She had a little blood coming out her nostril, she is small and has a very red rump.
    The only way to get her to drink is to dunk her beak in water, and she won't eat. I put some start n grow in a bowl, and pecked at it with my finger with no luck. She may have a sore leg and spends a lot of time with her eyes closed. Any suggestions? She hasn't eaten since yesterday morning.

2. EggNoob

EggNoob Out Of The Brooder

May have internal injuries. Wouldnt worry about the eating. keep her drinking. I have found a dropper or a syringe and putting water on the beak they will usually drink. keep her warm and cuddled. sounds like she was through an ordeal. Give her time to recover. Maybe a vet on monday if still alive and not better.

3. MaryFrances

MaryFrances Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2009
    Clarkesville, GA
    OK she didn't eat a thing for a day and a half. She must have seen what I posted...she just ate a few pecks of food. I notice they don't really like that start n grow much. Still have to dunk her beak for her to drink. I'll read up on the red butt.
    Can't afford a vet, and she doesn't have any companions, I just gave away 5 roosters and one hen with 14 chicks. I will get a dropper.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by