Coro sussex and lavender gene

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by key west chick, May 6, 2011.

1. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    So just for fun I set a coronation sussex egg in my bator. Daddy is a lavender Ameraucana. It hatched yesterday and other than having a single comb, looks just like the ameraucanas. Little muffs and all. Since its visually lavender, how did that happen with a coronation sussex? Do they carry lavender?

2. cubakid

cubakid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Yes Coronation Sussex are a Lavender Columbian, not blue columbian. Thats why breeding it to a light(columbian) sussex will give all light. then when the chicks are bred together you can produce more Coronations. if it were blue you would get half Coronation, Half Light. but thats not how it works.

3. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Well then, that makes sense. I was just surprised how much it looks like my lavender Ameraucanas.

4. robnms

robnms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Gulf Coast MS
    I just hatched 3 eggs from a lavender orp roo to a coronation split hen and got one lavender and two black chicks, the black chicks have a reddish down color around the head. Does anyone know where that came from?

5. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    Hmmm... I wonder if it's the sex linking of the columbian gene? If so, I think these would be pullets. Look up the sex linking thread here on byc - treat the roo as any other solid color.

6. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    columbian is not sexlinked. But it expresses better on males.

When one parent is a pure ameracauna you shouldn't get a single combed chick.

7. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:ive seen a lot lavender splits with colored hackales

8. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    Quote:Hm. I was pretty sure the columbian silver gene will sex-link when crossed with other breeds. And you could be just seeing a really poor pea comb with lots of wee spikes. Can you get us a picture of the comb?

9. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    silver is a sexlinked gene. columbian is not sexlinked but boosts the presence of (silver) groundcolor on a chicken... [​IMG]

10. robnms

robnms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Gulf Coast MS

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by