Coronation orpingtons

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SuperPeacockman, Jun 20, 2011.

1. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    How would one go about creating these?

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Coronation Sussex x White Orpington?

3. SuperPeacockman

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    And then generations of perfecting I suppose [​IMG]

4. tgrlily

tgrlily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Quote:The fastest & easiest route would probably be to get a nice big Coronation Sussex roo & put him over the typiest Split Orp hen. Then cross the female split to coronation offspring back to the coro roo & the typiest male F1 to a coro female. Select coronation F2s with the best Orp type & cross from each pen. Easy? [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. SuperPeacockman

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Quote:The fastest & easiest route would probably be to get a nice big Coronation Sussex roo & put him over the typiest Split Orp hen. Then cross the female split to coronation offspring back to the coro roo & the typiest male F1 to a coro female. Select coronation F2s with the best Orp type & cross from each pen. Easy? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks

6. SuperPeacockman

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    So wait does it matter what color the Orpington hens are? Also why would the hens be the Orpingtons not the cock? I am no chicken genetics expert. Anyone interested in this project? I am thinking of getting the Sussex and SQ orps next year maybe this summer. Also who would you recommend as a breeder for SQ orpingtons? I am serious about this favorite breed plus coronation equals awesome

7. SuperPeacockman

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I find it hard to believe no one else is interested.

8. mrheinz77

mrheinz77 New Beginnings Poultry

May 22, 2011
    SE Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

9. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Well, not that we are not interested, but Sussex and Orps are so similar in appearance. If you want to work with Orps, try working on a chocolate. THAT will get attention.

10. SuperPeacockman

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Quote:Well, not that we are not interested, but Sussex and Orps are so similar in appearance. If you want to work with Orps, try working on a chocolate. THAT will get attention.

Greenfire already has chocolates, and Sussex and orpingtons really are not that similar.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by