Coronation Sussex Or Buff Orpington?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by captainjack, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Coronation Sussex (extremely rare, beautiful)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Buff Orpington (Fluffy, docile, broody, cute)

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. captainjack

captainjack Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2013
    Virginia
    I am trying to decide between a coronation sussex hen, or a buff orpington hen. I am having trouble deciding because I have wanted a Buff for a long time, because they are fluffy,docile, and make great mothers. On the other hand, Coronation sussex hens are extremely rare, and beautiful. They would be automatic prize winners at any contest. What do you guys think?

2. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hi captainjack and [​IMG] ,
    Well Coronation Sussex are pretty but they are not recognized by the American Poultry Association. So could only be shown as an unrecognized variety and would never be on Champion Row. The only Sussex colors recognized by the APA are Red, Light and Speckled.
    That said, the Buff Orpington has a long distinguished APA history. Come on over to the Heritage Large Fowl thread here on BYC. There are some world class Buff Orpington breeders there who can help you get started with some lovely stock.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/400344/heritage-large-fowl-thread/14870#post_11952596
    Looking forward to seeing you there,
    Karen

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by