Coronation Sussex roo is pale and tail down. WHat to do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RedRoosterFarm, Dec 19, 2010.

1. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    11 mo old coronation susses roo
    tired looking. is eating but not good color.
    I have not seen his poop yet.
    He looks rough the last 8-9 weeks. Comb and waddles are very pale. He will not breed(you know there is a problem if not breeding) and tail down.
    I have wormed two times in the last 8 weeks thinking maybe a parisite and also tried antibotic for 10 days after that a round of sulmet. I stopped all meds 3 weeks ago and started on vitimans in the water.
    Suggestions??

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

You mentioned worming, but have you looked him over closely for external parasites? Under his tail area, under his wings??? Just one more step in the process of elimination.

3. RedRoosterFarm

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    Someone else pm'd me to check and im heading out in a bit. thanks. It sounds like that may be the cause.
    Quote:

4. RedRoosterFarm

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    Guess what?? Yep, he has the lil critters around the vent so I dusted him and all in the run with him. I see it will be a fun christmas week trying to dust again. I did it 3 or 4 months ago too. Thanks!!
    Quote:

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Was it lice or mites??? Not sure if you're aware, but you should really replace the bedding inside the coop too, as mites can be in the bedding too. I would check him over really well in 10 days to see if they're gone for sure...and then redust again in case (if lice) nits have hatched. Good luck! Hope your rooster perks up soon!

6. RedRoosterFarm

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    [​IMG]:)thanks. We cleaned and fogged with oxine and cleaned roosts and boxes too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by