Coronation Sussex Roosters. Who was King George.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Urbanfarmerkc, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Urbanfarmerkc

Urbanfarmerkc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Raytown, MO (BY KCMO)
    Which King George was the Coronation made for?

Dave

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    None...the Coronation in the US is actually not the correct Coronation, as it was a Blue/Black/Splash Columbian collar on the original, not Lavender as in the Australian-based birds we have here.

...but that wasn't what you really wanted to know. It was King George the VI, I think.

3. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    One George too many, George V I was told.

4. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I searched all over and found references to the 1940 range, and references to VI, so I'm going to do some real research and see what I can find.

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:You are correct. I did research about the "origin of the coronation sussex" too and found that it was a bunch of hooey. At least you found what would be the true information.

For the life of me I couldn't imagine how someone would believe that a lavender bird could be developed and perfected in less than a year's time frame for the coronation of King George VI.

It is quite a bit of interesting information though about how he came to be heir to the thrown since his brother abdicated to go off with the "american fluzie"....

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  6. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    pips&peeps :

Quote:You are correct. I did research about the "origin of the coronation sussex" too and found that it was a bunch of hooey. At least you found what would be the true information.

For the life of me I couldn't imagine how someone would believe that a lavender bird could be developed and perfected in less than a year's time frame for the coronation of King George VI.

It is quite a bit of interesting information though about how he came to be heir to the thrown since his brother abdicated to go off with the "american fluzie"....

But WHAT a love story, right?​

7. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA

But WHAT a love story, right?

You could say he gave up everything to be with her.

8. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Bit of history that may make things a bit clearer.
    The British Coronation Sussex was made by the introduction of blue into the Light Sussex genotype.

The Australian Coronation Sussex came about when a mating, by a Tasmanian breeder, for meat birds of a Light Sussex X commercial broiler produced a lavender marked bird. This bird was mated back to Light Sussex and the Australian Coronation Sussex was developed over a number of years.

Additionally at the same time the British developed the British Coronation Sussex they also developed the Coronation Orpington by way of an introduction of Speckled Sussex.
    David

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    pips&peeps :

Quote:But WHAT a love story, right?

You could say he gave up everything to be with her.​

He lost his throne and now Queen Elizabeth took over.....yep, what a love story.

Now if Prince William would follow suit in marrying Katherine ? I doubt if he will lose his throne or his succession in getting the throne. Prince Charles is still hoping but as long the Queen is in good health, she would pass the throne on to her grandson, regardless of whom he marries.

I think the royality is coming down to earth about being receptive about who their grandsons, William and Harry, will marry outside of the "family" pool of Windsors.
    Times are a-changing!!!!!!!

I thought the Coronation Sussex was created not too long ago, perhaps a decade ago.

10. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:You could say he gave up everything to be with her.

He lost his throne and now Queen Elizabeth took over.....yep, what a love story.

Now if Prince William would follow suit in marrying Katherine ? I doubt if he will lose his throne or his succession in getting the throne. Prince Charles is still hoping but as long the Queen is in good health, she would pass the throne on to her grandson, regardless of whom he marries.

I think the royality is coming down to earth about being receptive about who their grandsons, William and Harry, will marry outside of the "family" pool of Windsors.
    Times are a-changing!!!!!!!

I thought the Coronation Sussex was created not too long ago, perhaps a decade ago.

It wasn't that she was a commoner, but Edward gave up the throne because he wanted to marry a twice divorced American and they wouldn't agree to it. George (but he was really Albert!) was Elizabeth's father, and he married a commoner Named Elizabeth, so the Queen was named for her mother. Technically, Diana was also a commoner. It's all quite convoluted but very interesting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by