Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

Out of curiosity, what is the alternative to grocery shopping? Especially if if you live alone, lack a social network, can't afford delivery, etc. what's the game plan?

Don't eat?

I always wonder what circumstances someone has going on to make them behave out of place...
Big chest freezer and lots of cupboard space/closet/spare room.

I think it's pretty nice how many across the country stepping up and shopping for the elderly. Saw quite a few stories on the news. Town near me it's a used car dealership. Older folks can just call them with a grocery list and they shop and deliver free.

UPDATED: Merry Monarch as well as other activities being cancelled/postponed. We all need to do our part to keep this virus from spreading :fl

As of last weekend, Walmart shelves are empty of ... Toilet paper, hand sanitizer, disinfectants, alcohol, cold meds & remedies, masks. Target was wiped out, got a new shipment in and limiting from what I've heard as are our major (3) grocery stores.

I'm debating whether to stock up on chicken & dog food ... There's talk about closing down the ports. IF that happens, it's going to be PANIC for sure at the markets. Everything we get is shipped in.

There are 2 known cases, whom got sick when returning from trips, self insulated themselves ... No "community" spread yet. However, the organizers for the Merry Monarch have yet to cancel/postpone the event which it INSANE. I hope the organizers come to their senses ... Hopefully the Halaus will have more smarts and the Public don't make an effort to attend.

The cruise ship that was here on Feb 29th, had several passengers with the virus and the ship was not allowed to dock in SF. I just saw another ship docked on Monday, know the tour buses makes several trips to Walmart ... It's insane.

We have alot of retired seniors, the other day my brother was in line and this 80+ was needing toilet paper, not stocking just out. She was close to tears but the shelves were empty. He felt bad for her but there are many here living check to check.

That's a extremely sad situation. The elderly lady crying because she couldn't find any toilet paper really made me extremely sad. Even if everything is restocked it's not safe for that senior woman to visit a mall. It really breaks my heart.:hit

Joe Rogan had an immunologist on his podcast a few days ago. It's worth checking out for people who want to separate fact from fiction. They also talk about other interesting diseases that have caused problems in the past and will cause problems in the future, with some discussion of deer-related diseases.

I think it was on that podcast that I heard most masks are useless. It's only a very specific kind of mask that would be effective, and you really shouldn't try to buy those because there are major shortages in hospitals and for healthcare workers.

I can't understand why people are crazy for toilet paper. My sister says people are stealing rolls from her office, so they are having to lock them up and only put out half a roll at a time :).

I won't have the money to get tested or to get treated if it comes to it. Neither do a lot of the people that I know. Unless they make the test AND treatment affordable for people with and without insurance, most people I know will not go to the hospital. This is true for all medical conditions, not just this crisis. Tens of thousands of people die every year because of a lack of access to affordable medical care. People can't afford to go to the doctor so they avoid it until it's too late. Medical care is a human right, and one that our country should be able to afford to offer. There is no excuse for the number of people who are dying or becoming homeless or bankrupt for medicine. Alas, I will heed your request to keep politics out of this conversation, and stop there.

I watched that podcast too. He suggested that the viruse can be airborne. It was definitely really worth watching. He also talked about pangolins, I am not sure in the same episode or another. I was really surprised that so few people know about them.

I won't have the money to get tested or to get treated if it comes to it. Neither do a lot of the people that I know. Unless they make the test AND treatment affordable for people with and without insurance, most people I know will not go to the hospital. This is true for all medical conditions, not just this crisis. Tens of thousands of people die every year because of a lack of access to affordable medical care. People can't afford to go to the doctor so they avoid it until it's too late. Medical care is a human right, and one that our country should be able to afford to offer. There is no excuse for the number of people who are dying or becoming homeless or bankrupt for medicine. Alas, I will heed your request to keep politics out of this conversation, and stop there.
Good to see someone living in the real world.:cool:
The fact that one has to pay for a Covid-19 test and any other medical problems in the USA is in part going to be responsible for the high mortality rate.
Medical care should be a human right and free at point of service.
It often gets overlooked that it is our response to epidemics that causes high death rates and other associated problems rather than the disease itself.
We are approximately three months into this Covid-19 epidemic and in the USA, since the testing and acknowledgement that this disease is a problem, 4,055 people have died.
Others may have died and their cause of death attributed to the flu.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1093256/novel-coronavirus-2019ncov-deaths-worldwide-by-country/Last year in the USA alone an estimated 40,000 people died from road traffic accidents.

We have had infected people come back into this country with Ebola. Did it spread? No.
It is a deadly and highly contagious disease, but with proper quarantine, it can be contained.

The government screwed the biosecurity by allowing travelers citizens and noncitizens to come into the US after it was clear it was spreading. Back in January, they knew it was spreading out of China and instead of staying if you are out of the US to stay there and wait it out. They brought back ambassadors and allowed people to continue to travel in and out.

This is a 100% failure on the part of the government to do what is best for the people of this country. If they had shut everything down and not allowed any travel in and out back in January we would not see what we are seeing now.

One of my favorite quotes is "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it." It is true. You can reason with a person. People no amount of reason will help.

I am not a scientist, but Ebola is nowhere near as contagious as NovCoViD 19. Ebola is more deadly in the sense that the death rate is much higher than NovCoViD 19, but it doesn't spreads as fast. Also fewer people visit West Central Africa than China.
Think about it in this way, rabies is the most deadly disease, with a fatality rate of near 100%. However only around 55,000 people die of rabies, because it's not as contagious and there is a vaccine that works temporarily (not life time immunity). So yes Ebola and rabies have a higher fatality rate than NovCoViD 19, but neither of them are as contagious. No government can completely stop the spread of this virus without becoming totalitarian.

I think what’s being missed is what I briefly referred to before - the reports from medical professionals in Italy. Yes, most people will become ill for a time and as long as they self-quarantine they think they’re helping. Yes, Italy isn’t the US. The problem is that it’s in people and they are spreading it BEFORE they realize they're sick. And yes, it can be treated by medical professionals. But if this virus becomes as widespread in cities here as it has become there, hospitals are quickly overloaded. Medical personnel in Italy are reporting that doctors and nursing staff, housekeeping and people in the kitchens are getting it. Supplies are running short. And hallways have become ICUs because ICU is full. Many seriously ill folks who survive it still have months of therapy. Lungs become scarred, and when your lungs don’t work well anyway you’re never really “over” this.

I’m not part of the “panic” group. I am part of the “elderly with cardiac issues, chronic kidney disease stage 4, COPD, seizures” group. Hubby is over 70 and has an autoimmune disease called Sarcoidosis. Son is insulin dependent diabetic. Daughter-in-law has epilepsy. Their youngest daughter, my granddaughter Kendra, has Spina Bifida, developmental delays, seizures, Autism, neurogenic bowel and bladder, and hydrocephalus. Their older daughter, my Katie, has mild Autism and Valproate Acid Syndrome. Every one of us fall into the high risk group. That’s every member of my immediate family living here in our tiny town. and myself. THE CDC released the 10 chronic health issues that put patients most at risk. The only one of those 10 my family doesn’t have is chronic liver disease, although hubby’s Sarcoidosis is in his liver as well as his lungs, spleen, parotid glands, eyelids, skin and joints so I imagine that could count as liver disease.

Am I worried? You bet your hiney I’m worried - now. My flippant attitude toward this virus yesterday has done a complete 180 today. I live in a community of 600 people and it looks like we may have it here. Can you just imagine how decimating it would be to a small town like ours, where we still have to go to the post office to pick up mail every day and where nearly every household is family to the other households? Our kids travel the length and breadth of the state to play basketball or whatever because our schools are so widespread, and they just finished tournaments. We only have a 15 bed hospital in the nearest town to us, and an 85 bed “nursing home” facility attached to that, which gives you some idea of the age demographics of our area. We have 3 doctors on staff and I think 5 PAs. They split their time between the clinic, the hospital, and the Care Center. The nearest major medical center is up in Billings, almost 2 hours away. The biggest employers here are the hospital/Care Facility/clinic (all in one building) and the school system. My daughter works at the Care Center and my daughter-in-law works 2 jobs....daytime at the school in the lunch room and afternoons and weekends in the dietary department at the hospital.

If you aren’t worried about yourself during this crisis - and regardless of how you feel personally it IS a crisis - then at least think of others. I don’t have it now, and I don’t want to get it. I don’t want to give it to your mother, your father, you or your children. You who have good health and youth on your side would probably survive it. I probably would not. My 8 and 14 year old granddaughters, my husband, my son and his wife might not. Washing your hands and coughing or sneezing into your elbow is not enough to protect others. Hand sanitizer is effective against bacteria, not viruses.

Yesterday I was in the mindset of making bad toilet paper jokes. Today none of this is very darned funny. We were in Sheridan over the weekend, staying in a hotel, going out for meals, and hubby was in meetings with people from all over the state from early morning until late evening, while we ladies served a lunch to everyone and socialized afterwards. We came home on Sunday. By Monday Sheridan had one confirmed case and by today there are 4. Sheridan has less than 18,000 people. It will spread quickly there, I guarantee it. And either Ken or me, or both of us, could be carrying it right now.

Panicked? Nope, not yet. Scared? Yeah. I admit it. And my being scared may well be what keeps others safe. So what if this turns out to be some vast conspiracy, which I never believed anyway? That doesn’t make it any less serious. We deal with treating the sick, preventing more from getting it, and deal with the rest of the theories later. If it turns out that we’ve done a good job of containing it and ends up being bad but not as bad as many fear, then that’s great! But it’s time to get real. The the real power to stop this comes from us, not officials, and we darned sure better start taking that responsibility more seriously.

I thought my family was in bad situation, because my father is diabetic and he smokes and drinks and I have two old grandmothers and an ancient great-grandmother. I was panicking over it since the beginning of March. Carl C. Roger's quote "what is most personal is also the most universal" is proving to be true.

I pray for your and your family's safety. I hope we all come out of this safe and strong. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom