Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

I live on clay which is evil. I may have to burn my dearly departed rather than bury them. :hit Always hard.

I have clay too. The adobe kind that early Californians built their houses from No lie! That stuff is a freakin' ceramic! Unless we've had a lot of rain and then it turns into a slip 'n' slide!

Do you compost, seminolewind? I've been working on my clay for 20 years and I now have planting beds deep with arable soil.

I'm a very lazy composter. I set up big piles (forget that 3'x3'x3' nonsense!) and let them do their thing. It takes about a year but I have 4 piles going at any given time so there's always one to open up and take 40-60 gallons of compost from.

New Zealand has almost reached 800 cases - the total today is 797. The vast majority are from overseas travel and people coming into contact with someone who has since been diagnosed with Covid-19. But we have a small percentage due to community transfer where the point of infection is unknown, and that was the case with the only death here so far.

This was interesting to read today:

Researchers in Australia - where there have been nearly 5000 recorded cases and 21 deaths - have crunched the numbers on social distancing to see if it really can hold back the spread of the virus behind COVID-19, which has killed 46,000 people around the world already.

They found if 90 percent of people follow the guidelines - which include staying at least 2m away from people outside your home 'bubble' and limiting time spent away from home - the spread of the SARS-CoV-2 virus could be under control by May.

But if only 80 percent comply, it could take until July - with all the extra economic damage that brings.

If fewer than 70 percent comply, the virus will spread uninhibited, the research found.

"If less than seventy percent of the population is adopting social distancing measures, we cannot suppress the spread of the pandemic and any social distancing could be a fruitless effort," said Professor Mikhail Prokopenko of the University of Sydney, who took part in the research.

"There is a clear trade off - stricter measures imposed earlier would reduce how long our lives are impacted by this disease. On the contrary, laxer protocols could mean a longer, more drawn out and ineffective struggle against COVID-19."

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/nati...will-take-to-stop-it-from-working/ar-BB122sQBThere is a link to the research paper in the article.

My pigs planted pumpkins in their pasture, and the vines grew up a tree! We had tree pumpkins.
Pigs and chickens plant alot, my chickens plant more tomatoes than I do 😆
Up a tree? Hysterical!
Ever grow Seminole pumpkins/ squash seminolewind? I've been wanting to try them supposed to be tasty and resistant to insects and disease. I've been trying at least one new (old) squash every yr now. Last yr was Hopi Pale Grey, this yr Boston Marrow which actually originated from the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) here.

Read this on the Seminole squash;

"Miccosukee name for this product is ‘chassa howitska’ meaning ‘hanging pumpkin’. The reference is to the method by which the pumpkin grows, as the Seminole and the Miccosukee people would plant the pumpkin seeds at the base of girdled trees, so that the pumpkin vines would grow up the trunk these girdled trees, and the pumpkin fruit would grow to be hanging from the bare limbs."

I live in Monroe which is currently a hot spot in PA. All businesses are closed and only essentials stay open. All I do is stay home and do online school. My mom and dad are still working though and refuse to even come in contact with me and my siblings until they shower. The streets are empty along with the shelves in the stores. I'm just hoping this dies down with the heat of the summer.

It's Forged in Fire night, guys. Catch y'all tomorrow. Be safe, be well, be good. 😉
Love that show. I'm about ready to start up forging myself. DW's cousin lives in Montana has been forging a long time.
His website, pretty sure its not active anymore think he does it all on FB now. Pretty nice blades though.
And actually there is a YouTube vid on his site of him picking guitar and singing, reminds me of John Denver.
Hit view web version on the bottom if on a phone works much better/ easier has more stuff;
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw3waYv7hyejyBaG1rNhWDdN

Back
Top Bottom