Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

Most states are tracking their own totals. I've been checking a local paper which posts the numbers provided by the state Dept of Health (we're currently behind on reports by a couple of days).

As of April 2, WA state: 6966 confirmed cases, 284 deaths. Thankfully still under the threshold of what the local hospital system can handle.

The good news is that Birx said CA and WA are beginning to pass the apex of their curves.

Are you seeing that?

Huu. ok thanks . So if I get this thing, think I could just treat it at home?

Because I ant leaving my house.. :lol:

The advice is to definitely treat it as home if you can. Stay hydrated. Isolate to one room and one bathroom, if possible. Wear a mask so you don't infect your near and dear.

But, of course, if you have difficulty breathing call your doctor and follow his or her advice about getting to a hospital where they can take care of you.

So about fish meds. Hi. I'm one of those weirdos who has fish meds in my house for not fish. I haven't needed them since I went on medicaid (after the ACA passed) but I used to. I did some digging on this a long time ago when I didn't have insurance and I was going to urgent care for a reoccurring easily identifiable and treatable minor infection every 2-3 months. >_> Plenty of folks still fall in the medicare gap and would have similar motivations.
Some fish meds are manufactured in the same plant as many human meds. They're manufactured in human doses. The medication is often - but not always - the same. When I was doing this digging fish-mox was the same manufacturer as Amoxil name brand for human use. Same capsule, same labeling on it. Physically identical capsules. (This may or may not still be the case.) Just different bottles.
Additionally many of the medications I've gotten for my dogs over the years have come from normal human pharmacies. Again, same meds. But those pharmacies gave discount rates on generic brands so I went there. They were physically identical to the ones I was getting from the vet just half the price.
I would not suggest people take anything without doing their due diligence but... Not everyone has options available to them. I didn't. At the time I had been seen for this condition 6 times in the last year, I knew EXACTLY what it was, and I knew which meds I needed from what the doctors I saw prescribed. It just cost me $100 and two hours to walk in a door and tell a doctor "I have this condition, I need this medication" and they would say "Yes you do here is a prescription". And then I'd leave. It wasn't sustainable financially or emotionally at the time to do that 6 times a year. This was some years ago.

Many times people don't have access to a vet also. I have to look things up and guess a little when dosing farm animals. We only have ONE vet here that will see rabbits and he's garbage on a few different levels so I don't see him... Not to mention a visit would be like $100 minimum for a $25 rabbit. But we have a sick rabbit right now and I was checking pen-G dosage and it was listed with a dosage range that was like 10,000IU to 50,000IU/kg (might have been different, I did the calculations, got my dosage, and promptly forgot the numbers behind it) with no information on how to determine where on the scale to dose and why. I just kind of have to guess. She just started eating again today for the first time in a week and is getting well finally but I just chose a middle dose and hoped for the best. It was my only option, especially under quarantine.

So sometimes guessing is peoples best option. One should always try to research it first, and not everyone does, but professional help isn't always available either. Absolutely go with expert advice first.

But as always, a blanket reminder that people often do crazy seeming things because they're in situations that they can't take the safer option.
When safer, sounder options are available and appealing people take them.
Glad you're okay, and got it fixed!
About drugs and dosages: I do realize that some folks need to be creative at times, BUT it's about that 'due diligence' that is often missed.
And I see the disasters!
Mary
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If people have access and ability to use safer and sounder options the VAST majority of the time they do.

What's stopping the people in question from accessing safer options?

For me it was money and a lack of consistent care options.
I don’t think anybody was talking about the people that don’t have any other options and/or do it out of necessity. Tbh I never even thought of that situation but now that you brought it up, it’s understandable if you don’t have any other options and/or do all your research like you.

However, that said, I, and I’m sure the others, were strictly speaking about the people that do it just because. It’s not necessary and they don’t HAVE to do it.

Like for example, the couple that heard something about some drug POSSIBLY preventing Corona so they just took a fish med that sounded similar and the man died. Not sure about the woman. Or all the people that might start taking dewormer because it supposedly killed the virus in the lab test.

THOSE are the people I am talking about and the ones people are referring to as idiots or whatever.

I would never attack someone doing something out of necessity to survive and I don’t think anybody else would either. I would have hoped that would have been clear by now.

Back
Top Bottom