Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

They have been told there is no demand, nobody wants their milk....???

I remember hearing this story a few months ago. People just aren't interested in liquid milk. That's not about Covid "shortages". That's a change in the American diet that's been evolving for quite a while.

BUT people still buy cheese. ...and the higher end the more demand. Why isn't that milk going into cheese production?

But another -- ANY other -- administration would have seen it's responsibility to respond. They would have issued the DPA orders to get supplies manufactured and delivered. They would have gotten them to hotspots without calling governors "snakes" and they wouldn't have doled them out based on who is a political ally. They would have distributed them directly and not through for-profit third parties. They would not have allowed the situation where individual desperate governors were out bidding one another. They would have come to the assistance of an aircraft carrier with sick sailors forced to be in close proximity instead of firing the captain of the ship who appealed for help. They would have alerted the population to safe practices and not told them it would "magically" go away in 2 weeks exacerbating the attitude that it was nothing.

This administration is responsible for the callous and neglectful responses they've broadcast.
Each state has an Emergency Management/Preparedness stockpile system in place, which each state's governor is suppose to be responsible for. It has come to light, that for whatever reason, while some of the governors have done good, other governors have not been tending their own state's preparedness systems very well. Each state is to have a "stockpile" of various things to help for natural disasters, pandemics, nuclear attack (dirty bombs), and chemical warfare. This includes water, MRE's, and some medications too. While first responders, hospitals, etc., are to have their own equipment, gear, and supplies, in an extraordinary event scenario, where these resources would be stretched too thin, and/or the residents would be needing additional resources, the governor is to have the state emergency system, step in with the extra supplies needed.

The federal stockpile, while much larger, oftentimes steps in, and provides additional resources for states during time of need. The federal stockpile was never meant to provide everything needed, for all 50 states, at one time.

We are NOT under martial law on a federal level. The stay-at-home request is exactly that. The state-of-emergency is being overseen by the CDC, and FEMA. The governors, of each state, were informed that they would take charge over their own states. Many immediately declared a state-of-emergency, giving the governors emergency powers, and capabilities, which vary from state to state, and adopted recommendations by the CDC, and FEMA. It also gives them the power to send their own state's emergency resources when, and where needed. While most governors have cooperated, and done a very good job under difficult circumstances, there have been a few exceptions. Those are the ones we tend to hear about in the media. Michigan comes to mind. The governor of Michigan declined to comply, wishing to be independent. That was her right, but by refusing to comply with the federal state-of-emergency, and CDC recommendations it disqualified her from the federal FEMA supplies.

DPA orders were issued. Lots of corporations, factories, and companies have converted to manufacturing much needed supplies. Distilleries are making hand sanitizer, and isopropyl alcohol for the hospitals. Car manufacturers, and other companies are producing respirators, and shipping them to various hospitals all over the country, as well as making parts for them. Masks are being made. (This is why 3M is currently in trouble). Due to the DPA orders, when Michigan's hospitals, and eventually the governor, began trying to order equipment, and supplies as private consumers, the suppliers were unable to comply. There are limited supplies, so FEMA decides how many, or how much is to be allocated to each state, based on population, and immediate needs. When the governor of Michigan discovered that independent, individual consumers could not buy the supplies, she decided to comply, but not without a big fuss. It has nothing to do with political affiliation, and she's since been sent supplies. There is no bidding war. All the supplies are paid for by the federal government, and sent as needed, and/or available. NY, on the other hand, was sent plenty of supplies, but they "misplaced" some of them. They've been found.

The issue regarding supplies going to the highest bidder, did not involve governors, but an issue with 3M sending the much needed face masks, to the highest bidder in other countries. We have one 3M manufacturer here in the US. 3M claimed that being an international company, owned by China, they had to get permission from China about making masks for the US, despite the DPA order. China said no. The masks they manufactured, were to be sent to Canada, and Latin American countries. That has since been taken care of, which is why Trueau was making threats to America, if we stopped the 3M here, from sending supplies to them. They have two 3M factories in Canada, and should be able to get their needed supplies, from them.

As to the ship's captain, issues about him following the correct chain of command were cited, as well as leaking the information to the media, after he got the help he requested. Our military has some pretty strict protocols, and many of them are in place for good reasons. Failure to follow protocol, is a very serious offense.

Our population has been alerted to safe practices, and we have never been told it would "magically" go away. As with most viruses, they run their course, and goes away. It is expected to peak, in the majority of the population, over the next 2 - 3 weeks. It won't disappear after that, but the number of people that catch it simultaneously, will be greatly reduced, thus more manageable.

So... on a positive note I decided to make some cotton masks for my nurse daughter and a nurse friend of mine & a few of her colleagues that work at a local hospital. Very simple to make but the ties are the hard part, I guess the elastic cording for ear loops must be a hot item (sold out until May or June). So I'm hand braiding yarn to make the ties.
20200405_005649.jpg
20200405_005629.jpg
20200405_005715.jpg
20200404_214106.jpg

It is probably a different distribution network, to schools and to grocery stores, another for bakeries, another to restaurants. More people are home, cooking and eating at home, so the grocery store is short. Schools, restaurants, coffee shops are closed, so those supply chains send back the message that no milk is wanted. It may even be that grocery chains buy all their milk in California, while Michigan supplies schools. I made those up, but the point is that because different buyers, bottlers and truckers are involved- and there are contracts all along the line, switching the destination from schools to grocery stores is not as easy as flipping a switch.

By the way- in the name of this thread, it should be “affected,” not “effected.” Yes, I am sure.

I can't understand why they are just now suggesting wearing a mask. Hello, this has been going on for.months! Unless they want a certain percentage of people to die.
Im not sure but probably the shortage of face masks was an important reason to say that earlier on. Its important the hospitals , doctors, nurses and other people in health care have enough masks thats for sure. Maybe they where afraid people would stock face masks?

There still is a shortage of medical approved masks for hospitals. Now they know they can re-use them up to five times after heating. This makes a hughe difference.

For people in the stores and such there are more simple foldable masks available which are not secure but good enough to stop spreading corona from the sick to people around them.
The home made masks are not admitted for Covid protection in hospitals either, but also good enough for shopping or contact with people if made correct and sterilised.

Well it seems obvious to me that people need to protect themselves from such a quick spreading bug. So many people seem to be still in denial. You can lead a horse to water....
True, but I don't think anyone in the US wants or designed a response so a lot of people die.

hello from england,i,ve just joined byc again but i,ve been reading these pages for a while .the posts got really heavy but now everyone seems to have lightened up a bit .i live on my own and it can get scary listening +watching the news but it,s interesting seeing how other countries are coping .i have no chickens at moment but am rearranging garden to have them again also want a greenhouse again ,miss growing my own veg .hope you all keep safe .

Back
Top Bottom