Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

i'm up in the pacific northwest, north of Seattle, a few precious miles from the epicenter of the virus in the US. This is by far the craziest virus to ever have set foot on this planet in my lifetime. if you are not seeing it in your area yet, it might be easy to think you have dodged the bullet but that is not the case, it is coming, spreading life wildfire. the latest estimates are that it can live on some surfaces for more than two weeks. it can effect people young and old but does seem to be most likely to kill older folks and immune compromised people but plenty of strong middle aged folks are dying of it to. my brother in law works at a local hospital and I work in healthcare so I have an unusually grim view. this virus is many, many times more contagious than the the regular flu. you are most contagious before you even know you have it. you'll think it's nothing and then all of a sudden your local hospitals are overflowing with people in full blown respiratory emergency. it causes the lungs to leak fluid and basically drowns the patient. reactions to it very wildly. ethnicity has nothing to do with susceptibility. not everyone contracts it who comes in contact with it, some people, particularly young people can have it without any symptoms and be shedding contagion. it comes on like a mild cold, goes away and then comes back like a ton of bricks. everyone will come in contact with it at some point and a certain percentage of people will get the worst symptoms requiring a ventilator. the name of the game is slowing down the spread enough that your local hospital doesn't get overwhelmed. if for no other reason take this seriously out of compassion for your local health care providers who will be in living hell trying to deal with the wave of very sick people at their door. the life you save by social distancing and staying home till it peaks in your area may be your own, a family member, a neighbor or some complete stranger that uses the ATM key pad after you. in the worst hit areas so many bodies are piling up at the hospitals that they are having to bring in refrigerator trucks to store them, some places are resorting to using ice skating rinks as morgue. I know people directly who have gotten it and it seems like a total crap shoot where you will land on the spectrum of having no symptoms but shedding virus to others, having a bad "flu"/lots of fatigue, all the way to full blown respiratory distress where you are gasping for air. I would recommend that everyone take self care measures at this time and avoid things that irritate your airways. avoid sanding, breathing dust, heavy drinking, heavy smoking... avoid anything that is going to have you starting out with the illness with inflamed bronchials. stock up on enough supplies to be able to hunker down for 2-3 weeks if need be. a good bleach solution is your friend, 1 tablespoon of bleach to a pint spray bottle is about the max concentration you can use without it being too harsh. wash hands like a surgeon, relying on soap and friction to attenuate the virus. UVC light is very effective at killing it, but protect your eyes and skin, you don't want the DNA that it warps to be your own, it's nasty stuff. I don't mean to sound alarming, but this virus doesn't care what god you believe in or what political party you are affiliated with, it doesn't care if you are a boot straps marine or a lili livered daisy cutter. stay hydrated, eat well, sleep adequately. wash anything that is eaten raw. soap and water kills the virus, wash exposed clothes etc. have inside shoes and outside shoes. it's all about touch points, disinfect and wear disposable gloves outside the house if you must go out into the world where other people have crossed your path.

I'd rather him vape than cigarettes if he's going to smoke.

I was told to vape medical marijuana for my lung disease by one of the top pulmonologist. It helps with pain, inflammation... I'm not sure if it's the same though as the liquid vape stuff since it's considered a plant.
It's not the thc it's the type of juice that's used with it. (With thc not regular PG/VG )

Well since you asked.. I woke up way too early and am just overwhelmed with sadness. People are dying, more people will die and it is preventable for the most part. Hospitals are being overwhelmed, every few days the numbers will double as to infections and deaths. I am afraid for my family, my sister in law likely already infected and fighting it all alone in another state. I am scared and angry. I cannot express my anger with our govt. here because I am on the verge of being banned for political posts. Sad, angry and scared describes how I am today. Thanks for asking

:hugs :hugs :hugs hang in there!

It's only spreading fast like this because it's a new virus to the US. It won't spread like this next year because mostly everyone will have immunity to it. Those who don't will get it just like how we get the flu every year.

What I do want to know is... Will it fizzle out like the flu when the hot weather hits

Yeah I guess so but it also adapts and mutates quickly and you can have it for 2 weeks and not even know. I do think that has a lot to do with it too cause that’s a lot longer than the flu. But I hope you’re right that we’ll develop immunity and it will slow.

And yeah, I’m curious too. I hope so but it’s also not really looking like it atm so hard to say.

It's only spreading fast like this because it's a new virus to the US. It won't spread like this next year because mostly everyone will have immunity to it. Those who don't will get it just like how we get the flu every year.

What I do want to know is... Will it fizzle out like the flu when the hot weather hits
It is spreading this fast because it takes days or weeks from infection to symptoms and people keep spreading it because they are not staying home right now. In two weeks the death toll will be off the charts. We have no idea if being exposed will confer immunity it is too soon to tell.

Airing out PPE and reusing it is going on all over the country, hopefully industry will catch up, however in the mean time people in health care have to keep their patients, themselves and the outside community as safe as possible. Even if it means airing out PPE and reusing it. Sometimes reality sucks.
It seeems to me there is over and under reaction with regard to PPE.
While the vast majority of PPE ere designed for 1-time use, this is inherently wasteful and ultimately bad for the environment, they certainly don't have to be used only once.
Enter safety and durability considerations. Airing out by itself could be inherently dangerous without careful consideration as to what contaminates the used PPE as well as it's physical ability to withstand continued normal use without putting the wearer or those to be contacted by the wearer at increased risk.

With the limited current understanding that Sars-Cov-2 could remain viable for 9 days (generously assuming ideal conditions), then airing would need be continued at least that long without additional measures being taken.

Depending on the type of PPE (such as paper cloth plastic latex etc), and assuming gross contamination is not present or has been removed (such as blood or vomit), consider these alternatives to more quickly render it safe to re-use the PPE.:
* spray with antiviral disinfectant and dry
* wash with detergent and dry
* heat in dehydrator/low oven a few hours
* expose to uv light turning regularly 1 day
* microwave with wet sponge (no metal)
* boil then dry
* soak in diluted bleach solution or equiv.

Ok no more caffeine... On to taxes....
:smack
Edit: Dont touch your face while handling these items uncleaned, and inspect and repair as needed holes or detatched strappings
And Wash your hands! :old

Last edited:
Oh dry vaporize
My bad I misunderstood
You're all good then
I tried the vape juice stuff from the dispensary and it was okay. I'm not really into mango flavors or fruity flavors so it was a bit 🤮 to me.

My dog takes medical CBD oil for seizures. She used to have 1-2 a week. Now it's 1 every 6+ months or so.

The dispensaries are still open. They're considered essential just like liquor stores.

Back
Top Bottom