Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

I recently heard our Lt. Governor (Texas) say something like: we should all be willing to die for the economy.

That's yuck. He knows he will be able to afford medical care if he gets really sick, so will everyone in his bubble. He and his funders are all the beneficiaries of the economy. What he's saying is, "You should be willing to let your family die so that my family and those who pay me can keep getting rich."

We're just giving TRILLIONS to corporations, no strings attached. It makes the 2008 bailout look like nothing. When we gave billions to the banks in 2008, executives gave themselves bonuses (not including salaries, just bonuses) worth more than half our country makes in a year, around 14 billion. Meanwhile regular people lost their houses and pensions and jobs. I vaguely remember getting a few hundred dollars that year, but I'm fortunate, and that money was nice, but not necessary. A lot of people needed more help than they got. That seems to be what is happening here, but much much worse. The politicians/pundits who are saying it's time to start things up again have no problem giving indescribable amounts of money to their donor/corporate buddies first. Now their pockets are full, and it turns out they don't care if regular people live or die.

I'm hearing the car accident analogy a lot. Everyone risks their lives to drive to work, why wouldn't they in this pandemic? I think a better analogy is: everyone's cars are faulty. Say the brakes don't work 1 in 50 times. Sometimes it's fine, sometimes you and whoever you come into contact with die or are seriously hurt. Are people seriously trying to make the argument that it's our moral responsibility to drive to work before getting our brakes fixed?

Is there another way of seeing this situation? Is everyone else on here convinced by the argument that it's worth however many people dying to keep things the way they were before? Does anyone else think it's strange that these arguments started just as the trillion dollar corporate giveaway bill was passing?

EDIT: I do want to give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe the people making this argument haven't experienced the people in their lives dying preventable deaths before? Maybe they don't think it's serious? It wasn't so much the argument as the shaming from the Lt. Gov that led to this rant :(. If anyone sees it another way I'd love to hear it.

Last edited:
the argument that it's worth people dying to keep things the way they were before?

The people who are making this argument are making it because they KNOW that the solution is to move 180 degrees in the other direction.

Edited to control my rage and not get reported for being political

Last edited:
I DO understand what you are saying.
If social distancing can keep potential asymptomatic people from spreading it then (since you have no symptoms and don't even have a test result yet) it is the appropriate action.
Clearly not everyone is going to die from this....even though it seems that those who do have a severe case or pass it is a pretty freaking miserable thing.

For me...older with underlying conditions....I will take extra precautions to protect myself. I am not being a panicked idiot about it but I am certainly being more aware of where I go, what I do, and what I touch. I question...do I REALLY need to go there and do that much more than before.
Do I expect to be exposed....yes...I just hope it is long after the initial phase so the professionals have had time to figure out best course of action or even a vaccine.

I will not presume to tell others how to live...it is not my place to do so.
This is what I'm doing and I'm 33 with pre existing conditions.

I don't care what others do and I'm not going to tell them how to live right now... My family is taking the precautions to ensure I'm safe. They also are a bit overprotective, but I'm okay with it.

Yesterday when I did Walmart pick up I helped the young lady put in all our stuff. I get social distancing and such, but I always help so nothing changed with that. I did sanitize my hands after.

We also went to KFC after grocery pickup to get our potato wedges. We eat those as a family all the time. It's the only think I can eat at drive thrus 😂 potato wedges or french fries.

I'm not for the whole die for the economy... I'm sorry but money is truly the route of all evil for some people.

I'm more about trying to help as many humans on this Earth as we can and as fast as we can... If that means isolation then you bet your bottom dollar that I'm isolating. I don't want people to die, I don't care who it is. I hate the statistics because more deaths make my heart hurt.

I don't see people dying as a meh thing or it's okay because it's not me or my family... That type of thinking makes my stomach turn.

I DO understand what you are saying.
If social distancing can keep potential asymptomatic people from spreading it then (since you have no symptoms and don't even have a test result yet) it is the appropriate action.
Clearly not everyone is going to die from this....even though it seems that those who do have a severe case or pass it is a pretty freaking miserable thing.

For me...older with underlying conditions....I will take extra precautions to protect myself. I am not being a panicked idiot about it but I am certainly being more aware of where I go, what I do, and what I touch. I question...do I REALLY need to go there and do that much more than before.
Do I expect to be exposed....yes...I just hope it is long after the initial phase so the professionals have had time to figure out best course of action or even a vaccine.

I will not presume to tell others how to live...it is not my place to do so.

Thank you for a logical non agenda driven post. :bow

The fact is the state of AZ said not to take any precautions other than social distancing like everyone else unless we show symptoms.

I wonder why this is when the science confirms that people are infectious while asymptomatic? I worry that there is another agenda in play here and states like AZ and TN are putting that ahead of public health.

Back
Top Bottom