Correct Bator Temps and Humidity: My First Eggs Coming Soon!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by laxrick, Nov 12, 2008.

1. laxrick

laxrick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2008
    Princess Anne, MD
    I have a homemade incubator and I have a quick question.

My incubator is really confusing. I made a makeshift "wiggler" out of a water-filled, folded in half, ziploc baggie. I also have one of those AccuRite indoor/outdoor thermometers set up so it tells me the air temperature in the incubator and the temperature in my "wiggler".

I'm a little concerned about the air temperature. Sometimes it gets as high as 105 degrees air temp, however the "wiggler" temp holds very steady at 99.7 degrees to 100.1 degrees. Humdity should not be a problem; its constant at 48-50% right now.

Will this high of an air temperature harm the eggs? It gets this high then of course it cuts off and kicks back on around 98.5 degrees. I've tweaked it as much as possible and it the wiggler temp is steady but this one fluctuates. Any ideas? Or is this normal in this type of homemade bator?

2. tabsmonsters

tabsmonsters Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Laclede County, MO
    I am by no means an expert, but I think as long as the wiggler temp is steady and at the right temp, you should be good. It's purpose is to show you what the temps are inside the egg. Is your wiggler the same height as the eggs? I think that is important too. Good luck and I am sure the more experienced will chime in soon!

3. laxrick

laxrick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2008
    Princess Anne, MD
    I have the wiggler on the mesh rack I'm going to be putting the eggs on yes. I thought the wiggler temp was most important I was just checking.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I agree, the wiggler represents the temp of the inside of the egg, so if it is holding steady, then you should be fine. Just make sure when you do add the eggs that the wiggler is at the same level that the eggs are.

5. Ladyhawke1

Ladyhawke1 Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by