Correct sex from hatchery?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by newTexan2chickens, Jul 1, 2010.

1. newTexan2chickens

newTexan2chickens Chirping

Jun 15, 2010
    I am considering ordering some chicks from a hatchery (probably Ideal since I am in Texas) and would want to order females only. If I was not going with sex linked... what are my chances of getting all or nearly all females? Thanks!

2. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Without sex-linking the hatchery can only guarantee about 90% accuracy. So if you get ten it is likely one will be a rooster. With sex-links, their coloring is different for each sex from birth, so the accuracy is much higher — nearly 100%, I believe.

3. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Songster

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Ideal was great for me my first order (11 pullets received w/ 8 packing peanut roos) - got 100%. My last order, it looks like I got 11/13 females. If you average them, it's probably still better than 90% especially if you count that the packing peanuts were all sexed correctly too (darn it!).

ETA - their actual sexing rate is typically 95+% for them to be able to afford to reimburse for any chicks which sexed incorrectly.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  4. rhaj

rhaj Songster

May 30, 2010
    NE'ern Connecticut
    I bought 3 RIR and 2 of them were roos, so you never know... though my case was probably somewhat unusual.

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I ordered 5 Silver Lakenvelder females, which they were, but in the same order I ordered 5 Golden Campine females which were 2 female & 3 roos. I ordered through another "so-called" hatchery, that I later found out was just a "middle-man", so maybe my order got relayed wrong. I wrote Ideal an e-mail, but got no response. On that note, I now use Cackle & private breeders.

6. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Songster

Dec 6, 2009
    Cackle did me good....I ordered 30 Hens and 5 Roos. I got 31 hens and 5 roos. So they usually are correct,

7. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    The thing I did not like about Cackle was when we ordered 100 sexlinks they always sent three roosters. I could tell the minute they came they were roosters, and I know the people at the hatchery could.

8. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    If it's any help, I am in TX, and we ended up with a shipment from Randal Burkey - they did send 5 packing peanut roos...but on the flip side - all 15 pullets that were ordered turned out to be pullets, ALL 20 alive and healthy upon pick up at the post office and FAST they got here fast (from there to Houston basically overnight)and a week earlier than we were told to expect and they are all doing great currently! Just saying...I know they seem to be a little higher than Ideal, but it seems worth it.

9. Mag16

Mag16 In the Brooder

Jul 29, 2009
    Graford, Texas
    I ordered 35 chicks from Ideal in February all pullets. I received:

10 Rhode Island Reds - all pullets

10 Buff Orpingtons - all pullets

10 Dominiques - 9 pullets - 1 rooster (gave away)

2 white Cochins - 1 pullet - 1 rooster (kept because he is beautiful)

3 blue Andalusians - all pullets

So my Feb order was approx. 94% pullets.

I order a 10 Cochins pullets in May. I received

10 Cochins - so far look to be all pullets

7 Packing Peanuts - all EE's and 1 may be a pullet (fingers crossed) 6 are definitely roosters.

10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I ordered 100 Buff Orpington Pullets from Privett Hatchery ( New Mexico ) and I got 10 roosters. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by