Correct Sulfer product to use on chickens

TKSalberg

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2016
HELLO _ thank you in advance! Im looking for confirmation/suggestions if I purchased the wrong thing. I ordered the following product from Amazon: Sulfur Powder - 99% purity - Elemental Sulfur - Commercial grade

I would like to confirm that I CAN use this powder directly on my birds (via a garden duster), and I intend to hang bags at the doors and above roosts, and put some in the cat box dust bath the girls use in the winter. Ive also seen that I can add it to their feed - 2 oz per 50 lbs.

Ive seen/read so many things Im a bit confused if I actually purchased the correct powder, and IF I can use it as I want to (as mentioned above).

Also if you have any tips/suggestions for application and placement of bags - or anything else for that matter. I got freaked out when I read the back of the bag that 1) dust in the air might ignite (I read somewhere it should have the combustibility of wood) 2) do not get on skin (ummm using a duster it would get on the chickens skin) and 3) do not induce vomiting if ingested (planned on adding to chicken feed).

Elemental sulfur is no more toxic than table salt (but just like salt you can have too much). It's the sulfur dirivatives such as hydrogen sulfur, sulfur dioxide (which mixes with water to create acid rain) or trioxide gases that are poisonous (so just don't burn it and you'll be just fine). :thumbsup

I just put mine under the coop bedding.

Elemental sulfur is no more toxic than table salt (but just like salt you can have too much). It's the sulfur dirivatives such as hydrogen sulfur, sulfur dioxide (which mixes with water to create acid rain) or trioxide gases that are poisonous (so just don't burn it and you'll be just fine). :thumbsup

I just put mine under the coop bedding.

Back
Top Bottom