correcting a chicken

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chicky Chick, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Chicky Chick

Chicky Chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    Is there a way to properly correct a chicken if they do some thing wrong? One of my friends always makes a clucking noise at them when her roosters chase each other. Does this sound like good method? Also, is there a way to reward your chickens without giving them treats?

2. Show them one of these or a basket of hot wings.... that'd straighten um up :)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. cooped up

cooped up Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Portland, Or
    I sectioned off a portion of my coop and attached a run to it. When a bird gets to aggressive towards others she gets the penalty box.I'll be intoducing new chicks pretty soon and we don't want ill mannered hens.{ I'll be culling out the agressive hens once the pullets become hen.}.

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    The only luck I've had trying to correct a bad habit is to gently make them do the right thing, over and over and over. I won't try to make them not peck each other because to do so I'd have to be with them all day long. I let them work that out themselves and if one just causes too many problems, she suddenly finds herself in a new home one day.

5. Fabidon

Fabidon Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    Love the pot and hot wings! Too funny.

We have one chicken, Emily, that has discovered how to get out of the chicken yard. This can be dangerous because she comes into our backyard where the dogs have access. She has a secret method and we have not been able to find her route yet; we are wondering if we should clip one of her wings? If that would work, can anyone tell us how to do that?

We have 10 chickens and she is the only one who constantly escapes....she is leg band #26 so we know it is her over and over again.

Any suggestions?

6. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Clipping a wing [​IMG] It might be worth doing. They can be sneaky about flying fences. I had a couple young ones that would do that behind the coop where I didn't see them, and graze the neighbors yard in a hidden spot during the day. I had to be told they were getting out! I never caught them at it but a good wing clip stopped it.

7. Chicky Chick

Chicky Chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    Thank you for all the helpful suggestions. Clipping their wings will also help me in the long run. Have a great weekend! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by