Corrid for 23 week old gang?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nuttyredhead, Sep 27, 2010.

1. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Im confused over some of the info i am pulling up when i search. Is it ok to treat my 23 weekers for Cocci. Also if i need to wait to eat their eggs for 2 weeks would it be ok to use Ivermecting on them now also? I was planning on doing this 2x a year to help prevent worms/mites.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Are you sure they have cocci? It's not that common for grown birds to get cocci if they were raised on that same soil. By that age, most are immune to the oocycts in the soil. If you give Corid, you don't have to toss any eggs since it's not an antibiotic, but why do you think they have cocci?

3. nuttyredhead

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Quote:I saw some bloody poop in the run....there was also a decent amount of blood under the roosts (however this was under where my girl was, she died yesterday and im wondering if they were pecking at her, she had blood on the side of her head). My roo didnt crow yesterday, was lethargic. He have seen him wiping his head on the ground, one side then the other.. but he has always done this. Also his poop is like water. (this is have seen, fist hand!).

4. speckledhen

Some poop on occasion is watery and doesn't mean much. That isn't necessarily a sign of cocci.Are you sure it isn't just the occasional intestinal lining they can shed? Blood in poop can also be a sign of a heavy worm load, not just cocci. Your rooster could be shell-shocked from the death of his hen.

5. nuttyredhead

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Quote:Cynthia funny you posted that. I was wondering about Worms and if he was shell shocked. He also didnt crow at all yesterday, the hen may have been dead first thing. My son opened them up and he likes to get out of the way of the flying exits!!! We have heard him crow twice this morning. (he usually crows loud and alot!). Im going worm the whole group, it cant hurt right? I was planning on doing a fall/spring worming i just hadnt done the fall one yet.... What do you think?

6. speckledhen

Sure, you can worm them and see if it helps. Unless they are truly sick, it shouldn't hurt. Valbazen is the best way to worm them if they have a huge worm load since it starves out the worms over a several day period and won't clog their systems.

7. nuttyredhead

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Quote:Thanks so much for your help!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by