Corrugated Plastic Roof?

BLaBauve

Songster
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
Georgia
Hi Everyone,

We used to have deer netting as our roof over our coop run. A few weeks ago Raccoons got in and killed all but 1 of our chickens.
sad.png
We've finally put a roof on, and we used corrugated plastic from home depot. We wanted something that would still let light in, keep rain out, and most of all keep out raccoons. We use hardware cloth in all gaps. I'm curious if anyone out there has also used this material for roofing and what they think. Does it hold up well? I'm in GA so I don't have to worry about snow on top of it. And it seems strong enough to bear the weight on several raccoons. I've attached a few pictures of it.

Off the coop subject, we currently have 3 full size hens living in our enclosure. . . from the pictures, how many more do you think I could keep? Sorry, I don't know the dimensions. . . any guesses?

Thanks!
Beth

34304_dsc_0320.jpg

34304_dsc_0334.jpg

34304_dsc_0334.jpg

You want at least 10 sq feet per bird outside, and 4 sq feet per bird inside.

I'd try to get closer to 15-20 sq feet per bird outside space though, if they never get out to forage and such. 10 is kinda the minimum. You can avoid a lot of health and behavior problems if they are not crowded.

The roof looks very nice.

It looks nice and I am no plastics expert or anything but I know that the fiberglass kind that looks just like that will only last a few years before it starts to crack and crumble due to tons of sun exposure. Looks like you got some nice shade trees though just make sure you check it after storms and such in case limbs fall.
thumbsup.gif

Wish I could have a clear roof
sad.png
No wait too many helicopters around here nevermind lol

I really like the clear roofing! I am thinking of using it for roofing my next coop I need to build in about a month, so I am looking forward to hearing eveyone's feedback! you could probably get one or two more in what you have now, but I wouldn't do anymore than that without expanding at least the coop. I am guessing your run is about 4x8 or 6x8?

That's what I use. It's been up 6 years. This spring I took it down to clean and replace the zipties. Other than 1 little hole from a limb in a storm it's in like new condition. Hasn't even clouded up.

Imp

15498_img_0057.jpg

I have used that same roofing on my run over three years now. No cracks or anything - so far so good. We don't have snow down here in Florida though!

Our run is about 20'x8' I think. It's actually quite long. . . There are probably 6 feet behind me from where I'm standing to take the picture.

Glad to hear positive things about this roofing. I just know a gang of raccoons will be on it every night. We're going to set up a motion sensor light. . . no clue if that will scare them at all.

I love it. I want it.
smile.png

I still have to replace 2 metal posts in the run (the other 6 are pt wood) before we can attempt something like that. We have the top covered w/ chicken wire, it's kind of droopy, and annoys me.
smile.png

Great job.
thumbsup.gif

I used the clear for the side walls ( half way up) .......... LOVE it also!!! No problems so far........I need to take pics to show ya.....

Back
Top Bottom