Cortunix hatch! Chick id?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Friar_Tuck, May 18, 2010.

1. Friar_Tuck

Friar_Tuck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Baudette MN
    Hello there,
    I ordered 72 eggs from Friend2Fowl, and hatched 54 for a 75% rate on shipped eggs!
    I am extremely happy with that.
    This is the first time I hatched anything besides browns, and man do I have an assortment.

Take a guess if you will on what these little fellas will end up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    My guess:
    1- Tuxedo
    2- Golden
    3- in front regular wild color, and on the back a white A&M.
    4- might be a golden too.

Oh and congrats on the new chicks, they grow extremelly fast so be ready for the quick change, mine are barely 2 weeks and half and they look almost full grown now!

3. Friend2Fowl

Friend2Fowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    #1--chick in the back is a tibetan tuxedo (evidenced by the black on the legs) and chick in the front is a rosetta tuxedo [​IMG]

#2--Is a golden, this one will feather out as gold background with black spots.

#3--The chick in the back (left) is a golden, looks like a fawn golden since the stripes are not very dark. This one should feather out as gold background with fawn (marroon) markings. Chick on the back (right) is a white, I don't have A&M's, though some of mine have been sold to me (as eggs) as such. They are not as big as they should be if they are A&M. The one in the very front is a brown, should be jumbo, but I have 2 different 'sizes' of jumbos. My jumbo brown (only) pen has birds that are 14-16 ounces, but you can get brown from the golden pen as well. Those birds (goldens) are 10-14 ounces. The other golden chick looks like a golden, it will probably feather out gold with black markings.

#4--is definitely a fawn golden, it will feather out as gold with marroon markings.

Great job on the hatch! Are they finished? Sometimes they can take a few days, always leave the eggs in the bator 2-3 days longer than you think you should [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    At our swap this past weekend after everyone had left, I found these two quail in our barn. One was pretty beat up especially on one side of its head. There was a person who brought quail. I asked another BYC member who was talking to the quail person and she said the quail person said they were Coturnix quail. One looks like a Coturnix but I'm not sure about the other quail. Can you tell by these pictures? One quail didn't want to cooperate when I was trying to take their pictures?

Thanks, Alieda (cmom)

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    cmom, the first is a coturnix, brown male spedifically. The second looks like a chicken?? Looks like a young chick, it doesn't look quailish to me. [​IMG]

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I'm not sure but I think one may be an EE.

7. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:Hmm, looks like a golden baby quail; I have 50 out in the barn, and they all looked exactly like this!

ETA: Oh, I thought we were talking about the first set of pics, not the second. I am a dummuy!

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by