Cortunix VS Bob White....................

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by texaschickmama, Apr 11, 2009.

1. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Okay, I'm confused here. I got 8 cortunix quail last Sunday and they have not laid an egg since. I know the stress of the move is probably the reason, but how long will they go without laying an egg? I have them a "dirt bath" in their pen now. They are on a high protein game bird food. I don't get it.

Also, I'm thinking of getting Bob White quail and was wondering if the meat is better. I think Bob White meat is all white. Is their any difference in raising them. They can fly, right. So do they need a bigger pen to fly in?

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Bobwhites can fly. You can house them in a cage or pen just like you do coturnix.
    ETA: Ive got 6 bobwhites in a 3x3x3 ft breeding pen, they have plenty of room.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  3. texaschickmama

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Thanks. Are the Bob White better to eat?

4. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    To be honest, Ive never ate a coturnix, and its been a long time since I ate a bobwhite. So Im not much help there. [​IMG]

5. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    The stress of the move can make them quit laying for up to a week or so.

6. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I've experienced a hens lull from stress to almost 3 weeks. Just make sure if they are indoors they're getting 14 hours of light a day (thats the minimum) if outside you don't have to concern yourself with that.

I've never eaten bobwhite but i love coturnix meat! [​IMG] And eggs.

Coturnix can fly but dont perch they are ground dwellers this gives you more space if you're doing a breeding thing of them. If you want them to enjoy themselves though you can surely make them an aviary type set up bu they will stay on the ground unless startled. [​IMG]

7. texaschickmama

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    WELL, guess who heard me complaining about no eggs. I got 3 today. So 6 days from the stressful move. YEAH!! I must admit, I can see myself going absolutely crazy with quail. I only have 8, 3 roos and 5 hens. I know that is too many roos for the girls, but I can't find any to buy around here. Everyone here has Bob White. Anyone know of someone in North TX that has Cortunix?

8. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    Don't Bob white take like twice as long to mature?

9. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:yeah as far as I know the boogers do [​IMG]

As for coturnix in texas look around your state is the home of the A & MS after all! [​IMG]

10. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    My coturnix started laying eggs at seven or eight weeks. My bobwhites are now about 22 weeks and still aren't laying, so yeah, they take a lot longer to mature. I haven't eaten either bird, so i don't know what they taste like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by