Cortunix vs Button Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by earlybird10, Dec 7, 2010.

1. earlybird10

earlybird10 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2010
    Johnson City, TN
    Hey everyone! At the moment I have two female button quail. Poor things are so nervous and skiddish I feel so bad for them. Even if I talk calm, and make slow movements they still get freaked out. I have read that Coturnix quail are the tamest, and so plan on getting two females. The reason I want two females is because I don't care for the crowing of males, I use the eggs for decorating, eating, etc and I want some somewhat friendly quail pets! It would be a great help if everyone would give me there point of view on the tameness of coturnix quail vs button quail. Thanks!

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    There Is No Comparison. Buttons= Spazzy Like Freak Out Fits Waiting To Happen, Coturnix Are Quite Tame And Very Easily Handled

3. earlybird10

earlybird10 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2010
    Johnson City, TN
    Thanks! I quite like Coturnix, so am excited about getting them! [​IMG]

4. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    There is absolutely no comparison between Coturnix and buttons in terms of the "tameness" of them. I'm kind of sorry now I got the buttons. They're cute, but frankly, I just really am not enjoying them all that much. My cage full of Coturnix are my little buddies now. I think it's quite hilarious how friendly they are, especially the ones that think I'm the attendant in their little dust spa, and my role in life is to pour sand over them. Frankly, I think my chickens love me only for the treats, whereas the Coturnix just love me for me!

All kidding aside, they are surprisingly calm and friendly birds. I guess they just had the "wildness" bred out of them in a way other quail have not.

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Buttons are more for staring, no picking up, no cuddling. Just observance of their beauty. Coturnix are pretty tame. It doesn't matter how many I have, when the food lady comes, oh boy am I divine [​IMG]

6. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Mine are tame for the most part. I always give them a treat so I guess they like me for that.

7. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Buttons are fun to listen to. That's what I like about them. I "love" it when they start their Star Wars routine. I missed that when I had them out in a separate part of the house. Now that they are back in the house itself, I can hear them singing more often. [​IMG]

Coturnix are fun, too. Sometimes they get so friendly it's hard to open the door to their cage. My baby (three weeks tomorrow) coturnix are still wild little devils, though. [​IMG] They panic pretty easily still.

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I love both the coturnix and buttons, each have their own good qualities [​IMG]

If you are close to Adair Co. KY, I'd be willing to trade 2 coturnix hens (gold, brown, or tibetan) for your 2 button females [​IMG] Or I've still got lots of single male buttons that could use a girlfriend [​IMG]

9. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Johnson City Is Quite A Ways From Adair County...

10. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    It is a wee bit too far for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by