Corturnix Or Bob Whites For Hunters

Discussion in 'Quail' started by chickbird, Dec 6, 2011.

1. chickbird

chickbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Those Of You That Sell To Hunters Or Gamebird Perserves, Do You Sell Bob Whites Or Corturnix? Do You Have Them Flight Trained When You Sell? At What Age Do You Put The Corturnix Or Bob White In The Flight Pen? What Is The Sizes Of Your Flight Pens?

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I would think Coturnix would be too tame. Bob whites are wilder from what I read. Idk about flight pens etc. I am new at all this quail stuff too, my first egg layers got eaten by dogs, my second set are laying well and the dogs are history. Those dogs had been killing my birds for a year. Good riddance. Someone will answer your post in the am I would say. Good luck. Deb

3. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Please research raising bob whites for release and such, if you want to enter into this costly market. The rewards can be high, but the initial investment is also very high, and the competition may be great in your area.
    Save the coturnix for egg production, and meat production that doesn't require the discharge of a firearm. I'm pushing 50, and I could hunt even properly flight conditioned coturnix on foot with nothing more than a dip net.

4. ncfarm2012

ncfarm2012 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2011
    Reidsiville, NC
    Quail are very expensive and hard to raise. The flight pen needs to be pretty big. We have one that is 50ft by maybe 15ft. And that's for 50 bobwhites. We typically have them flying. Hunters that have bought from us want a good chase. However, don't expect them to fly far. These usually fly a bit then cover till you walk right up onto them. Bobwhites will be more Wilder for hunting. Which is what you want. And if you need any help or advice just post!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2011
  5. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I agree, Coturnix are not really flighty, I think it probably comes back to them being bred for egg production or size, not to be wild, sounds weird I know but when you have 6 generations of birds that have never been outside of a 12x24" cage then you cant really expect them to know what to do when you release them into the HUGE world of unknown

6. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you ever heard of the Bob bird?

7. millebantam

millebantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Little Rhody
    No serious dog trainer would ever consider usin' a coturnix for dog training. Might as well use a baloney sandwich. They fly about the same, and the baloney probably gives off a better scent and will promote bad habits just about as well as a cot.

8. keckels

keckels Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Quote:That's what I've been hearing around my area. I guess it would make a difference if that was all that was available.

9. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:X2 AS APPLIED TO THE "BOB BIRD"

MORAL OF THE STORY~~~ DONT BELIEVE ADVERTIZING

10. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:X2 AS APPLIED TO THE "BOB BIRD"

MORAL OF THE STORY~~~ DONT BELIEVE ADVERTIZING

Exactally if it was that great more than strombergs would have it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by