Cory's Entrance (A story written by me, Louieandthecrew)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Louieandthecrew, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

Cory's Entrance (based on a true story [​IMG])

My mother was Rotisserie, the black Cochin. She was killed saving my life. The last act of kindness that she preformed was instinctively brooding1. She put all of her strength and time into turning my and my brother’s eggs and keeping us safe. Before she was killed, I got to be with her for but a day, and this is how it went.
    I gathered up all of my might and kicked. I had been growing in this eggshell for almost twenty-four days and I was ready to be free. I kicked again, this time breaking through the thick shell. As I rolled out of my egg and into the soft woodchips of Mama’s laying box, I felt the warmth of the sun that had been shining through my shell. I peered through Mama’s soft, black feathers, listening to her gently cluck to my brother, who could be heard peeping from inside of his brown egg. As I became aware of my surroundings, I heard the sound of a cracking egg. Brother had just escaped, into the depths of Mama’s feathers.
    Brother didn’t look much like me, I being black, and he yellow. He was a very adventurous scrap of fuzz, tumbling through Mama’s feathers, and peeping loudly as he did so. He crawled out from under Mama and into the heat. I listened to his loud peeping as he attempted to communicate with Mama. I could feel her pleasure in the air, as I quietly crept out from under her, into the world.
    I looked around, amazed at all of the things that I saw. To my right were three other laying boxes, filled with soft woodchips, and pieces of hay. Past those three other boxes were five roosts, simply five pieces of wood laid on chicken wire. Above that was a window, glimmering in the sunlight. There was a second window above Mama’s nest, too. Straight ahead was a tall door, big enough for a human to fit through. Next to that was a little opening with a ramp, leading to the ground outside.
    Brother was standing in the little opening, trying to find a way to climb down the ramp, making it to the grass below. I walked up to him just as he made the jump to the first step, which was located almost five inches away, a long leap for a newborn chick. He landed barely above the first step and slid the final two inches. I stayed in the coop and just watched, as he made the huge leaps to the ground. He finally made it into the low grass and hopped around with the other chickens. They were all much larger than he, but he didn’t seem to care.
    I turned from the opening and went back to Mama. Suddenly, I heard a hissing sound. Mama stood immediately and began to growl. She called to brother and he came, with quite a challenge, climbing up the ramp that he’d just finished descending. He ran and attempted to jump onto the ledge that was located right in front of Mama’s laying box, but he failed. Mama quickly hopped down from the ledge and scooted brother up to her nest in which I sat, listening to the terrifying hissing noise. Brother sat next to me, and Mama, slowly and cautiously, walked over to the opening from which brother had just come. I could hear a low rumbling coming from her throat. Her feathers puffed out, making her look twice her regular size. She lowered her head and stepped forward, still growling like a hungry wolf. It was quite a sight to see Mama this way, for I’ve never seen her any way other than gentle and caring and kind.
    Suddenly, something long and black lunged for Mama. Its mouth was instantly surrounding her head. It bit down and pulled away, leaving Mama just lying there, limp and dull. She didn’t move. Not even her flanks drifted up and down, as they did when she was relaxing on her nest. Her head was wet and the feathers matted down, both from the snake’s mouth. She was dead.
    This only lasted a moment. I stared in astonishment as the snake killed Mama and brother and I just sat in shock. But only seconds after Mama’s life was taken by this cruel animal did the animal itself come into the coop. It slithered in, sliding over Mama’s unmoving body. It headed directly for Mama’s nest. For brother and I.
    We both scattered, brother jumping from the laying box and I running to the back of the box and hiding in a clump of hay. There were still a couple of unfertile eggs sitting in Mama’s nest. I had no sibling in them, nor would I ever. They just contained a simple yolk, and an old white. There were five eggs like this. These particular eggs were what the monstrous creature was after.
    The black serpent stood on the back half of its body. It looked around the laying box then, after observing the large eggs in the box, slithered in. It ate the eggs, all of them, without even noticing me, still sitting silently in terror in the corner of the laying box, hidden by the hay.
    After eating the eggs, it slithered down, out of the laying box, but stayed in the coop. It curled up, circling around itself many times. I peered over the edge of the laying box and watched as the creature digested his recent meal. I could see the whole of the unfertile eggs moving slowly through its body.
    Suddenly, as the serpent lay in the corner of the coop, a huge human opened the large door that, from the coop, led to the outside. The huge man walked in, holding a long stick-like thing in his hand. At the sight of this tall man, the serpent quickly tried to escape. The man stepped out of the coop as the creature slithered outside.
    Suddenly, I heard a loud BANG! It had come from the long stick that the man had been holding, or so I assumed. The sound echoed outside, but it ceased as the sound waves hit the walls of the coop. I heard voices outside. It was a man and a woman by the sound of it. They had killed the serpent.
    The voices faded after a while and the sun began to set. Brother wasn’t in my box. He had probably fallen asleep in the corner of the coop, the same place that he’d used to hide from the black creature. It had been a beautiful yet terrifying day, but brother and I were alright, and that was all that mattered for now. Mama lay in the little opening, surrounded by some of the other chickens. They’d loved her just as much as I did. Watching Mama’s still body was the hardest thing that I’d done yet in life, but I figured that life would be full of hard times. With that thought, I drifted into a cold, hard sleep.
    My eyes flew open when I heard the sound of one of the roosters, a large one from outside, crowing. It was loud and long, a sound of sorrow for a lost friend, or, in some cases, a lost love. The crow floated in the air until it was not heard any longer. As it ended, I began to hear many other noises. Blue jays singing in the leaves, woodpeckers thumping on the hard trunks of unshakable trees, squirrels scuffling around for nuts, and the faint sound of a barking dog. I’d never seen the morning before. I’d never smelt its sweet breath as it weaved its way through the green grass.
    I saw the sunlight shining through the window that was located over the five roosts. It was beautiful. It warmed my feathers, or, at this age, what we call something more like fuzz, and shone brightly into my eyes. As my sight drifted down from the window, to the spot in which brother had been sleeping, I saw that he wasn’t there. I felt a bit worried for a moment, and then shook away the feeling. He would be alright, as long as he was with the other chickens.
    I lay in the laying box quietly. Suddenly, the top of the box lifted. I saw huge eyes looking down at me. The box closed for a quick moment, and then it opened again. Two hands reached into the box and gently lifted me. I peeped loudly in fear, but as I was lifted higher I felt safe. It was dark, for I was closed in warm hands, but, not for long. I was soon set in a big, blue box. It was filled with fresh hay. It was cold for a moment, but a red light soon shown over me, warming me.
    I sat, peeping loudly still. I don’t know why I was. I guess I was just afraid. Afraid for brother. Was he safe? Afraid for myself. Was I safe?
    Suddenly, the box that I was in shifted, only an inch or two. A moment after, brother was in the box next to me. The same hands that had lifted me up only a couple of minutes before were gently setting him down next to me. He looked as fine as ever, peeping loudly as he was lowered into the box. Once he was safely next to me, the box top was set on top of the box in which we waited. The box was lifted and we tumbled around the box. After a moment or two after rolling around in the box, the box was still. The top of the box was lifted and sunlight streamed inside. We were in a completely different place.
    After I settled into my new home, the same hands that had saved me earlier that day lifted me out of the box. They, the hands, belonged to a girl. She was very sweet, letting brother and I run around out of our box every day.
    Brother and I grew. We grew our adult feathers, and began to become too big for the little box that we’d lived in so long. So, one warm afternoon, the sweet girl that saved us took us back to the coop in which we were hatched. She let us out of the box, free to be with our fellow chickens. We were happy to be with the others.
    We lived there for a long time, and many things happened, and we’re still there right now. Brother learned that my mother, Rotisserie, was not truly his mother, and I learned that my father, that I never knew, had been sold when I was still in my egg. Brother’s real mother and father are still alive. We live with them in the same coop that we were born in, and we get along fairly well. When we moved in, a couple of other roosters and a sweet hen were moved in too. We met them the day that we were put back into our true home. Today, the two hens lay an egg, the roosters protect their territory, and brother and I live happily, never forgetting our wonderful, lost mother.
    The End! I hope you liked it!

2. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    It's really good!!!

Awesome job Louie! [​IMG]

3. Louieandthecrew

Thanks! [​IMG]

Based off of the REAL story of mhy chicks, Cory Roosevelt (Cory Rose) and Wafers, and Cory Rose's mother beaing killed by a snake.

4. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Thank you! I couldn't stop reading it. [​IMG] [​IMG]

What a good Mama!!

5. Louieandthecrew

Very great broody! [​IMG]

6. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009