coryza and crd vaccine info please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by raiderbabe239, May 25, 2010.

1. raiderbabe239

raiderbabe239 ♥ Hatchaholic ♥

Jun 19, 2009
    Fort Myers, Fl
    okay so i have a broody hen sitting on 12 eggs the chicks are all from exhibition quality parents. they are due to hatch in a week. the hen is at our 2nd house and the whole flock there has coryza/crd and the ones that dont have been exposed to it. the lady i bought the hen from said she vaccinated her when she was young. this hen is the only one that has never gotten it. so i need some info on the vaccinations i need to get so these new chicks wont get it either. please dont tell me to cull the whole flock because i cant they are my dads chickens and he is going to keep them. i do understand that they will be carriers for life. so i need to vaccinate the new babies. all i need is help on how to do it when to do it, where to get the vaccinations etc. thanks!

2. raiderbabe239

Jun 19, 2009
    Fort Myers, Fl
    bump!

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I saw your post, but all I had to suggest was that you do a google search for "coryza vaccine", so I didn't post yesterday.

But there are a lot of details missing -

Did your Dad's chickens get sick after this hen came in or were they already sick?
    Was the vaccine given to her when young for Coryza/CRD or was it the much more commonly used Marek's Disease vaccine?
    The fact that the parents are exhibition birds doesn't mean anything now, since they may all be carriers for life. They should never be shown. And anyone handling ANY of those birds should never handle or even be around any other chickens.

Might want to check the Rules again, especially #6.

4. raiderbabe239

Jun 19, 2009
    Fort Myers, Fl
    Quote:My dad went and bought the chickens when i was gone for a few days about 3 months ago, the hen was part of the original flock that we had before the new sick chickens came. The lady i got the hen and her sisters from told me it was a coryza vaccine and that she vaccinates all her birds before she sells them. which makes sense to me because the broody hen and the other girls i got from that lady are the only ones in our flock that have never gotten the disease. also the eggs shes sitting on i bought from someone else that had a healthy flock so the chicks could not be carriers right? i just want to vaccinate the babies that hatch against coryza before they get a chance to catch it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by