1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coryza: Chickens OK Now, Thanks for the Help! Will It Come Back?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HoustonChicks, Jan 19, 2012.

1. HoustonChicks

HoustonChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2010
    Thanks, thanks, thanks for the help with my chickens' illness. The smell & icky stuff on a rooster diagnosed it as Coryza, and 2 more hens had an eye swollen shut. I learned so much from the links here; no telling how many I would have lost if we hadn't moved fast.The injectable Tylan seems to have made the difference. All 3 Silkies are fine now. I'm grateful for everyone's quick help! Now, I understand that the chickens will remain carriers. Does this mean Coryza can pop up again in stressful conditions? I watch the chickens, especially at roost time, listen to breathing, look at their eyes. Once Coryza has been brought in and stopped, as in my case, what's the future for more chickens coming down with symptoms? I advise people out there to think twice before bringing in new birds, because I'm pretty sure some "free" chickens is how the disease was brought in to mine, since I never had an ill chicken in over a year!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by