Coryza? I think

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lemondsm, Sep 15, 2011.

1. lemondsm

lemondsm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Yulee, FL
    I am planning to treat my chickens with Tylan. I have read a lot about coryza and correct me if I am wrong I need to treat them twice (with a period of time in between...I know there are instructions on the bottle) and if the chickens that were showing symptoms have recurring symptoms that means they will always carry it. I know that they either have to be separated from the flock or culled.

First, I want to know if I am correct on how to handle this.

Secondly, what if it returns? I don't have the cages or pens to separate them but I just don't have it in me to cull them. I couldn't imagine anyone would want them. What should I do?

Last question - We have tried to keep everything natural so we do not eat medicated or unatural eggs. I know this is a hot topic whether to vaccinate or not. Thus far we have not. After treating them with Tylan do we need to wait so long before we resume eating the eggs?

I have no clue how a couple of my chickens would have even picked this up but it sounds like it is as simple as coming into contact with it at the feed store and bringing it home to your chickens. So far I have a frizzle and silkie that are showing symptoms. It doesn't appear my larger free range flock are showing any signs yet but I am afraid I may have cross contaminated them before I realized the little guys had it.

Any help?

Thank you

2. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Why do you suspect coryza?

3. lemondsm

Aug 9, 2010
    Yulee, FL
    Well, I had picked up my frizzle and he had what looked like a dirt build up on his nostril. Thinking it was only dirt I went to wipe it off and he had a crater under it with a large yellow chunky piece attached to it. I know everyone asks if it smells but I didn't smell it. I was more grossed out and quickly set him down. He and the Silkie seem to feel fine. Today I noticed his eye on the opposite side was a little swollen.

4. nickie

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Coryza has a distinct odor with the reddish nasal discharge. List all of tour symptoms and see if we might be able to closely pinpoint what's going on, with lack of odor it may not be coryza.

5. lemondsm

Aug 9, 2010
    Yulee, FL
    They seem to feel fine. I haven't noticed anything other than a volcano like mound on the left nostril of both. When removed it exposed a yellow chunky piece that went down into the nostril. Once I had wiped it off the yellow piece came out and there was some yellowish green snot like fluid in the crater. Then I could hear a slight gurgling sound but he didn't make that noise until I wipe the mound off and the yellow piece came out. The silkie had knocked the mound loose on her nostril and I could see the same yellow piece and she made the same noise after it was loose. I didn't mean to expose his his but it just came off when I was wiping what I thought was dirt off. I left the piece on her nostril. She was trying to scratch it off after it dislodged. Today the frizzle had one eye swollen. That is the only symptoms that I notice. Regarding the smell I am not sure if I held him long enough or close enough to smell it. I appreciate you trying to help me.

Thank you

6. nickie

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    According to the chicken health handbook coryza has facial swelling and the discharge is reddish with distinct odor. For the time being I am going to rule that out in my research and see what else comes up.

7. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Respiratory infections are real common in chickens. I'm putting my money on a simple respiratory infection and not Coryza.
    I believe Sulmet will help.

8. lemondsm

Aug 9, 2010
    Yulee, FL
    That would be good news because it sounds like a bad situation if they carry it. I am so fearful my larger flock may get whatever it is. I am just not sure what to do and how to treat them. I came up with coryza from other's post but there was a couple of other things that I guess could be possible.

9. lemondsm

Aug 9, 2010
    Yulee, FL
    Is Sulmet a vaccine or antibiotic?

10. nickie

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Sulmet is an antibiotic and a coccidiostat (?) I think that's the proper term, it treats cocci. Anyway, try to get a clear picture of what you have because it may not be bacterial, it could be fungal or viral. Antibiotics are the wrong thing for both. I'm still looking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by